Calculating magnetic field 4 feet away from 2 magnets

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the dimensions of N48 neodymium cylinder magnets to produce a minimum field strength of 0.25 Gauss at a distance of 4 feet. The magnets would be placed 22 inches apart, with the N pole facing up on both ends. It is also mentioned that moving the magnets 2 inches apart or closer would affect the field strength at 4 feet. The speaker asks for recommendations for a computer program or website that can calculate this or provide a graph of lengths and diameters. A website is suggested, but the precision of the calculation is questioned due to the nature of the magnetic field.
Harborseal
Hi! I'm new here. I took physics back when we calculated pterodactyl drag and I remember what an integral looks like but that's about it. I hope I chose the right prefix.

What I'd like to do is find the dimensions of N48 neodymium cylinder magnets that would produce a minimum field strength of 0.25 Gauss 4 feet (48") from the center of a line connecting 2 magnets 22 inches apart. The magnets would both have the N pole facing up and the poles are on the ends of the cylinders.

I also need to know how much moving both magnets 2" apart and 2" closer would affect the field strength at 4 feet.

Is there a free computer program, website or spreadsheet that could calculate this or give me a graph of lengths and diameters that would work?

I'm sure some of you know the answer off the top of your head so feel free to chime in. :)

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Harborseal said:
Is there a free computer program, website or spreadsheet that could calculate this or give me a graph of lengths and diameters that would work?

Check this site out. https://www.kjmagnetics.com/gap.calculator.asp The calculation precision is only 0.1 Gauss so I do not know if this is satisfactory. Calculate the field for each magnet and add the results vectorially. I am suspicious that the fields will mostly cancel at the coordinate that you desire.because of the nature of the field line directions.

Likes davenn

1. What is the formula for calculating magnetic field?

The formula for calculating magnetic field is B = μ0(I/2πr), where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the magnet.

2. How do I calculate the magnetic field 4 feet away from 2 magnets?

To calculate the magnetic field 4 feet away from 2 magnets, you will need to know the strength of the magnets (in Amperes), the distance between the magnets (in meters), and the distance from the magnets to the point where you want to calculate the field (also in meters). You can then use the formula B = μ0(I/2πr) to find the magnetic field strength.

3. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic field?

The unit of measurement for magnetic field is Tesla (T). However, it is more commonly measured in smaller units such as Gauss (G) or Millitesla (mT).

4. How does the distance from a magnet affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the magnet. This means that as the distance increases, the strength of the magnetic field decreases.

5. Can the magnetic field from 2 magnets cancel each other out?

Yes, the magnetic field from 2 magnets can cancel each other out if they are placed in a way that their fields are equal and opposite. This is known as magnetic cancellation and is often used in engineering to reduce the effects of magnetic fields.