Calculating Magnetic Field at a Point Near a Long Wire

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
Robb
Messages
225
Reaction score
8

Homework Statement


Calculate the magnitude of the magnetic field at a point 100cm from a long, thin conductor carrying a current of 1A.

Homework Equations



B = ui/2pi(a)

The Attempt at a Solution



My question is why is this modeled after a problem with an infinite wire? When I first read it I thought there wasn't enough information as I figured we would need to know how the wire is oriented with respect to the point. Please advise.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
By calling it a long wire, it's implying that you can treat it as infinite. This approximation is valid if the wire is sufficiently long and the point of interest is sufficiently close to the wire.