Calculating Magnetic Field of Two Wires at a Point (x, y)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
twalters84
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



One wire, lying on the x-axis, carries a current of 8.0 A in the positive x-direction. Another wire, lying on the y-axis, carries a current of 12 A in the positive y-direction. What is the magnitude of the magnetic field at (x, y) = (8.0 cm, 12.0 cm)?

Homework Equations



B = (uI) / (2*PI*r)

u = 4*PI*10^-7

The Attempt at a Solution



First, I found each magnetic field separately.

B1 = ((4*PI*10^-7)(12)) / (2*PI*(8/100)) = 3*10^-5 T
B2 = ((4*PI*10^-7)(8)) / (2*PI*(12/100)) = 1.3*10^-5 T

This is the point I am stuck. The answer key says the answer is 1.7*10^-5 T. I see that you can get that answer by:

3*10^-5 T - 1.3*10^-5 T = 1.7*10^-5 T

However, I do not understand the reasoning behind this. Could somebody explain this to me? Thanks in advance.


Travis Walters
 
Physics news on Phys.org
For the Ix, the field at the given pt is toward +ve z, and for Iy, the field is toward -ve z.

Think about how the magnetic field lines are circular about the wire. Here, at the given point, they are in opp directions.
 
Hey there,

I see what you mean about them being in opposite directions.

However, since B1 is in the negative Z direction, would that answer be -3*10^-5 T instead of 3*10^-5 T? Likewise, since B2 is in the positive Z direction, would that answer be 1.3*10^-5 T instead of -1.3*10^-5 T?

If that is the case adding these two quantities togather would yield -1.7*10^-5 T and not 1.7*10^-5 T correct? Is the magnitude the absolute value or should it be negative?

Thanks once again for any clarification.


Travis Walters