Magnetic flux density between two wires

In summary, the problem involves two parallel wires with opposite currents. Using the formula for magnetic flux density, we can calculate the magnitude of the magnetic field at point P, which is midway between the wires. The direction of the magnetic field can be determined using the right-hand rule, with the thumb pointing in the direction of the current and the fingers pointing in the direction of the magnetic field. At point P, the magnetic field will be into the paper. If the currents in the wires were in the same direction, the magnetic field would be out of the paper on the left side of the P "line" and into the paper on the right side.
moenste

Homework Statement

Two identical wires R and S lie parallel in a horizontal plane, their axes being 0.10 m apart. A current of 10 A flows in R in the opposite direction to a current of 30 A in S. Neglecting the effect of the Earth's magnetic flux density calculate the magnitude and state the direction of the magnetic flux density at a point P in the plane of the wires if P is (a) midway between R and S, (b) 0.05 m from R and 0.15 m from S.

Answers: (a) 1.6 * 10-4 T, (b) zero.

2. The attempt at a solution
(a) 0.1 / 2 = 0.05 m. B = μ0 I / 2 π r = 4 π * 10-7 * 10 / 2 π * 0.05 + 4 π * 10-7 * 30 / 2 π * 0.05 = 1.6 * 10-4 T.

(b) Because the distance between them is 0.1 m and the given distance (0.05 m and 0.15 m) is greater than the 0.1 m, therefore the magnetic flux density at a point P is zero? Not sure on this part.

And how do we determine the direction of the magnetic flux density at P?

5005e3b9da44.jpg

30 - 10 = 20 A, so current at S is stronger so we need to take the P line with our current finger pointing downwards and so the field will be on the left side of P into the paper and on the right side it will be out of paper?

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything is correct in a) part. About b) part, that's true that each wire generates magnetic flux in opposite direction so it will cancel, but you got to calculate that just like in a) part. B coming from (lets say) S wire will have + sign and B from R wire will have - sign (depends on orientation of your coordinate system but it doesn't really matter here, what's important is that they have opposite signs). And you determine the direction of magnetic field with ''right hand rule''. Thumb goes in direction of current and 4 other fingers point at the direction of magnetic field.

Likes moenste
Avalanche_ said:
About b) part, that's true that each wire generates magnetic flux in opposite direction so it will cancel, but you got to calculate that just like in a) part. B coming from (lets say) S wire will have + sign and B from R wire will have - sign (depends on orientation of your coordinate system but it doesn't really matter here, what's important is that they have opposite signs).
Ha, that's indeed so. I actually did calculate it before posting, but I calculated using the calculator right away and summed the numbers and so I missed the fact that they are the same.

I assumed that since the point P is 0.15 m from S so I decided to take it as negative (since it is larger than the 0.1 m distance).

B = 4 * π * 10-7 * 10 / 2 * π * 0.05 - 4 * π * 10-7 * 30 / 2 * π * 0.15 = 4 * 10-5 - 4 * 10-5 = 0 T.

Avalanche_ said:
And you determine the direction of magnetic field with ''right hand rule''. Thumb goes in direction of current and 4 other fingers point at the direction of magnetic field.
Yes, this part I know. You can see it on the image (the circles at the top). I don't know what to do with this part:
moenste said:
state the direction of the magnetic flux density at a point P in the plane of the wires if P is (a) midway between R and S, (b) 0.05 m from R and 0.15 m from S.
As I understand I need to show the direction of B at point P. Point P in (a) is the middle line between the R and S lines. How do I find the direction of B of the P "line"? I mean I don't know it's current, right?

I thought maybe I need to subtract the currents of the S and R lines, like 30 A - 10 A = 20 A so current is facing downwards like the "stronger" wire S... Not sure whether this is correct thinking.

Oh, sorry, I didn't see that circles on top of your picture. And about that last part, you already did that. If P is in between wires [ a) part], you calculated the magnetic field, and just look at your circles in between the wires, both pointing in the same direction, so that got to be the direction of magnetic flux density at point P in a) part. And about b) part, you already said it cancels and B=0, so it's not pointing anywhere, it's simply zero, it has no direction at that point.

Likes moenste
Avalanche_ said:
just look at your circles in between the wires, both pointing in the same direction, so that got to be the direction of magnetic flux density at point P in a) part
Hm, both magnetic fields at P are pointed into the paper (X). So the magnetic field will be into the paper at P?

But if we had a situation when the currents would go in the same direction (not like here in different ones), then the circles would've been into the paper on the left side of the P "line" and on out of the paper on the right side of it. What would we be the magnetic field at P?

What is magnetic flux density between two wires?

Magnetic flux density between two wires is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field created by the current flowing through the wires. It is also known as magnetic field strength or magnetic field intensity.

How is magnetic flux density between two wires calculated?

The magnetic flux density between two wires can be calculated using the formula B = (μ0*I)/2πr, where B is the magnetic flux density, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the wires, and r is the distance between the wires.

What factors affect the magnetic flux density between two wires?

The magnetic flux density between two wires is affected by the distance between the wires, the magnitude of the current flowing through the wires, and the permeability of the material between the wires. It is also influenced by the angle and direction of the current flow.

Why is magnetic flux density between two wires important?

Magnetic flux density between two wires is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of electrical and magnetic systems. It is also used in various applications such as electromagnets, motors, and generators.

How is magnetic flux density between two wires measured?

Magnetic flux density between two wires can be measured using a magnetic field meter or a gaussmeter. These devices use sensors to detect the strength of the magnetic field and provide a numerical value for the magnetic flux density.