Point between two wires at which the flux density is zero

In summary, two wires (X and Y) are placed parallel to each other, with X carrying a current of 30 A and Y carrying a current of 6.0 A, 3.0 cm apart from each other. The flux density midway between the wires is 3.2 * 10-4 T when the currents are in the same direction and 4.8 * 10-4 T when they are in opposite directions. When the currents are in the same direction, there is a point 2.5 cm away from X where the flux density is zero.
moenste

Homework Statement

A long wire (X) carrying a current of 30 A is placed parallel to, and 3.0 cm away from, a similar wire (Y) carrying a current of 6.0 A. What is the flux density midway between the wires: (a) when the currents are in the same direction, (b) when they are in opposite directions? (c) When the currents are in the same direction there is a point somewhere between X and Y at which the flux density is zero. How far from X is this point? (μ0 = 4 π * 10 -7 H m-1.)

Answers: (a) 3.2 * 10-4 T, (b) 4.8 * 10-4 T, (c) 2.5 cm

2. The attempt at a solution
(a) B = μ0 I / 2 π a = [4 π * 10 -7 * (30 - 6)] / 2 π * (0.03 / 2) = 3.2 * 10-4 T. I is (30 - 6) since the currents are in the same direction and 0.03 is divided by two because we need the flux density midway between the wires.

(b) Same formula but 30 + 6, since the currents are in opposite directions = 4.8 * 10-4 T.

(c) Regarding this part I don't know. I used the abovementioned formula and got: [4 π * 10 -7 * (30 - 6)] / 2 π * a = 0 → 7.2 * 10-6 a-1 = 0. And that's as far as I got.

Physics news on Phys.org
The way you have it written it looks like you expect the point to be equidistant from both wires. Does that make sense to you, knowing the wires have different currents?

Likes moenste
The Buttered Cat said:
The way you have it written it looks like you expect the point to be equidistant from both wires. Does that make sense to you, knowing the wires have different currents?
Hm, I think I got it:
μ0 IX / 2 π aX = μ0 IY / 2 π aY
μ0 IX 2 π aY = μ0 IY 2 π aX
30 aY = 6 aX
5 aY = aX

We know that aX + aY = 0.03 m

Since we need aX: aY = 0.2 aX → aX + 0.2 aX = 0.03 → 1.2 aX = 0.03 → aX = 0.025 cm or 2.5 m.

moenste said:
aX = 0.025 cm or 2.5 m.

Be careful with your units there, but otherwise you are exactly right.

Likes moenste
The Buttered Cat said:
Be careful with your units there, but otherwise you are exactly right.
Oh yes, it's the other way around :). 0.025 m and 2.5 cm.

1. What is the concept of "Point between two wires at which the flux density is zero"?

The point between two wires at which the flux density is zero, also known as the null point, is a location where the magnetic field strength is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction for two parallel, current-carrying wires. This results in a net magnetic field of zero at this point.

2. Why is the null point between two wires important in electromagnetic fields?

The null point between two wires is important because it allows for the cancellation of magnetic fields, which can be useful in reducing interference in electronic devices. It also helps in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields and their interactions with conductors.

3. How can the null point between two wires be calculated?

The null point between two wires can be calculated using the formula: d = (μ0I1I2)/(2πB), where d is the distance between the wires, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the two wires, and B is the magnetic field strength at the null point.

4. Can the null point between two wires be observed in real life?

Yes, the null point between two wires can be observed in real life using a magnetic field probe or a compass. By moving the probe or compass along the line connecting the two wires, the null point can be identified as the location where the magnetic field strength is zero.

5. Are there any practical applications of the null point between two wires?

Yes, the null point between two wires has practical applications in reducing electromagnetic interference in electronic devices and in the design of devices such as transformers and electromagnets. It is also used in the study of electromagnetic fields and their behavior in different configurations.