Calculating Magnetic Flux in a Solenoid-Loop System with Varying Angles

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
BuBbLeS01
Messages
602
Reaction score
0
Magnetic flux...help please!

Homework Statement


A 2.02-cm-diameter solenoid passes through the center of a 8.62-cm-diameter loop. The magnetic field inside the solenoid is 0.75 T.
A.) What is the magnetic flux through the loop when it is perpendicular to the solenoid?
B.) What is the magnetic flux through the loop when it is tilted at a θ=60° angle? (60 degrees from the y-axis)

Homework Equations


MF = AB cosθ


The Attempt at a Solution


A.) wouldn't it just be zero since cos90 = 0? or is it not 90 degrees?
B.) A = (0.0862/2)^2 * pi = 0.00584
0.00584 * 0.75 * cos 60 = 0.002188
and I am getting that wrong as well
 
Physics news on Phys.org
does anyone know how to do this...it's due today and I still am not getting it right...
 
I'm not certain what your exact setup is. can you ignore the magnetic field on the outside of the solenoid? It won't be equal to 0.75 T there.