Calculating Mass of Little Sister Using Newton's Second Law

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
Propaganda777
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
You are pulling your little sister on her sled acroos an icy(frictionless) surface. When you exert a constant horizontal force of 110 N, the sled has an acceleration of 2.5 m/s^2. If the sled has a mass of 7 kg, what is the mass of your little sister?

Heres how I attempted it:
F=110N
A=2.5 m/s^2
M1= 7kg
M2= ?

F=(M1+M2) A
M2= 41.2 kg


The answer is 37 kg, but I can't figure out how to arrive at this mass. Can anyone help me?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Propaganda777 said:
F=(M1+M2) A
Since you know F and A, you can solve for M1 + M2. Then just subtract out M1.
 
I did, but it comes out to a wrong answer:

F= (m1+m2)a

m2=(F-m1)/a

m2=41.2kg

The answer should be 37 kg, right?
 
Propaganda777 said:
I did, but it comes out to a wrong answer:

F= (m1+m2)a

m2=(F-m1)/a
That last step doesn't follow. Do this:
F = (m1 + m2)a
F/a = m1 + m2

What's that equal?