Newton's Second Law question, 3 blocks acting to each other

In summary, the student attempted to solve the homework equation using a different method than what was given and was confounded by what the professor had said.
The Lich King

Homework Statement

Initially, the system of objects shown in figure is held motionless, the pulley and all surfaces and wheels are frictionless. Let the force F be zero and assume that m1 can move only vertically.
upload_2016-10-14_5-50-47.png

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6xlSNQyGbU5M3FTSXpNSVdmT2c/view?usp=sharing

2. Homework Equations

At the instant after the system of objects is released, find (a) the tension T in the string. (b) the acceleration of m2, (c) the acceleration of M, and (d) the acceleration of m1.

The Attempt at a Solution

For this problem I figured it out first based on the solution from Chegg. The key was to use the relationship between the accelerations of M and m2. I think by using the tension force divide by m2 can find out the acceleration of m2 with respect to the block M at the beginning. However after I asked my professor about this problem, he told me that by using the net force exerting on an object divide by its mass can always find out the its acceleration with respect to the ground. But in this way I could not figure out how to solve this problem again. I think if what my professor had said was right then by using the force exerting on m2, I can find out the acceleration of m2 with respect to the ground very easily then I can write (m1g-T)/m1=T/m2 which will give me a wrong answer. I am confused about this problem. Please tell me what is wrong and if I misunderstood what my professor had said. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you have already solved the problem using relative motion, you can use the relationship to derive the equation entirely in terms of the ground-frame, to give you an insight into what your prof was saying.

1. What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more massive the object, the less it will accelerate.

2. How does Newton's Second Law apply to 3 blocks acting on each other?

In this scenario, the acceleration of each block will depend on the net force acting on it. If the blocks are connected by strings or ropes, the force acting on each block will be equal to the tension in the string, and the direction of the force will depend on the direction of the string. The total force acting on each block will be the sum of the individual forces acting on it, and its acceleration will be determined by its mass.

3. Can you give an example of Newton's Second Law in action?

One example of this law in action is when a person pushes a shopping cart. The force they apply to the cart will determine its acceleration, and the mass of the cart will affect how quickly it accelerates. If the person pushes harder, the cart will accelerate faster, and if the cart is loaded with heavy items, it will be more difficult to accelerate.

4. How is Newton's Second Law related to the concepts of inertia and momentum?

Newton's Second Law is closely related to the concepts of inertia and momentum. Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion, and according to Newton's Second Law, an object with more mass will have more inertia and be more difficult to accelerate. Momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity and is also affected by Newton's Second Law. The greater the force applied to an object, the greater its change in momentum will be.

5. Are there any limitations or exceptions to Newton's Second Law?

While Newton's Second Law is a fundamental principle in classical mechanics, it does have some limitations and exceptions. It is most accurate for objects moving at speeds much slower than the speed of light and in non-relativistic situations. It also does not account for the effects of friction, air resistance, and other external factors that may affect an object's acceleration. In some cases, the law may not apply, such as when dealing with extremely small objects or in situations involving quantum mechanics.