1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Maximum Average Power of AC Circuit

1. Apr 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

L7Qf3n9.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The text in the black box looks wrong to me. The method below is how I would do it. Why is it wrong?

$$To\quad maximize\quad power,\quad \overrightarrow { Z_{ L } } =\overrightarrow { { { Z }_{ th } }^{ * } } \\ \\ \overrightarrow { { { Z }_{ th } } } =9.412+22.35j\\ \overrightarrow { { { Z }_{ th } }^{ * } } =9.412-22.35j\\ \overrightarrow { Z_{ L } } =9.412-22.35j\\ \overrightarrow { Z_{ L } } ={ R }_{ L }+{ X }_{ L }j\\ \\ Therefore,\quad { R }_{ L }=9.412Ω$$

This is how they did it in the previous example: KbR7EuY.png

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2014 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Because ZL is not what you said. ZL = RL. It's real only. You don't have the freedom to add a reactive component = ZTH* to RL to maximize the power in RL.

In general, if a voltage source has a series impedance Z = ReZ + jImZ, picking the load resistance RL = |Z| maximizes power dissipation in RL.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  4. Apr 4, 2014 #3
    Oh, thank you. I didn't realize the load is purely real. Frustration has been removed. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted