Net displacement after Jim walks 100m south, 60m east, 20m north

  • Thread starter Thread starter kraaaaamos
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Displacement Net
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
kraaaaamos
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Please Help!

Jim walks 100m due south, 60m due east, and then 20m due north. What is his net
displacement (both magnitude and direction)?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
According to his boots, his net displacement is of course 180 meter, but I know that is not what the (bad) problem designer had in mind :smile:
 
kraaaaamos said:
Jim walks 100m due south, 60m due east, and then 20m due north. What is his net
displacement (both magnitude and direction)?

Is this a homework problem?

Also, does this occur on the Earth, or on a plane?
 
I have no idea. I assume he mans displacement, instead of distance. :S
Is the magnitude of distance the same as displacement?
 
Hint: 60, 80 and 100 constitute a Pythagorean triple.
 
Okay, I think I've got it.
It's kinda like figuring out the hypotenuse?

Thanks everyone : )
 
kraaaaamos said:
Okay, I think I've got it.
It's kinda like figuring out the hypotenuse?

Thanks everyone : )
Displacement means distance between original spot and final spot, "distance traveled" means the length of his entire pathway.