Calculating orbital radius and speed of an asteroid in the asteroid belt

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 8K views
aligass2004
Messages
236
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The asteroid belt circles the sun between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter. One asteroid has a period of 4.2 Earth years. What are the asteroid's orbital radius and speed?

Homework Equations



T = 2pi sqrt(r/g)

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried manipulating the above equation to solve for r. I got 4.383, but it was wrong.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you do that? You need to use the universal gravitational constant G, not the Earth's standard gravitational acceleration, g. Moreover, this equation,

[tex]T = 2\pi \sqrt{\frac r g}[/tex]

is not quite. What are Kepler's laws?
 
I have no idea. We didn't discuss them in depth.
 
You were trying to use one of Kepler's laws here,

[tex]T = 2\pi \sqrt{\frac r g}[/tex]

but you did it wrong. Where did you get that equation from? Look over your text and your notes.