Calculating orbital velocity at periastron

• Thread starter ketkup
  • Start date

Homework Statement

-Suppose you have traveled to Sirius B with its radius of 5,842,200 m and mass of 1.945 x 10^30 kg. You are traveling in a spaceship 100 meters long. After arriving at close to the speed of light, you slow your spacecraft down to a velocity of only 43.19km/sec at a distance of 1 million km from the center of the star. This puts you into an elliptical orbit with a periastron only 1,000 km above the star's surface. What will be your orbital velocity at periastron. Hint: use conservation of energy.

What is the period of your orbit?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I am going to be finding potential and kinetic energy in order to complete this problem, but I'm not exactly sure what I am supposed to do with them.

Answers and Replies

D H
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Total energy is conserved, and the only contributions to energy here are gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy. You have all the information needed to calculate the initial kinetic energy and to calculate the gravitational potential energy initially and at periastron. You can therefore calculate the kinetic energy at periastron, and thence the velocity.

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Welcome to PF!

I know that I am going to be finding potential and kinetic energy in order to complete this problem, but I'm not exactly sure what I am supposed to do with them.

Hi ketkup! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I suspect you're being put off by the fact that most of the information given is irrelevant! :rolleyes:

Hint: PE depends only on distance, and KE depends only on speed. :wink:

EDIT: rats! D H beat me to it! :smile: