Calculating period of a function

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of what the period of the function is, with the function being f(t) = 3t on the interval 0≤t≤π, where f(t)=f(t+1). The person is struggling and has been given a contradictory statement, but ultimately determines that the function is not periodic with a period of 1.
andrey21
Hi I've been given this question for cooursework and am really struggling, help needed!
heres the question:

What is the period of the function?
f(t) = 3t 0≤t≤π, where f(t)=f(t+1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you struggling with? Do you know what it means for a function to be periodic?

yes i understand what it means to be periodic, is the period of the function 1

what's the definition of periodicity that you've been given?

"What is the period of the function?
f(t) = 3t 0≤t≤π, where f(t)=f(t+1)"

This looks contradictory to me. f(1) = 3, f(2) = 6 contradicts f(t)=f(t+1) when t = 1. You can't have both.

3t is only specified as the value of f on the interval [0, n] where n is the period of f.

0≤t≤π looks like pi to me from the copy and paste list: π. Doesn't look like 0 ≤ t ≤ n.

Perhaps it was just a typo.

Now that you put them next to each other, it does look like pi. I don't think that the function is periodic of period 1 either in that case.

What is the formula for calculating the period of a function?

The formula for calculating the period of a function is T = 2π/ω, where T is the period and ω is the angular frequency.

How do you find the period of a trigonometric function?

To find the period of a trigonometric function, you need to divide 2π by the coefficient of x in the function. For example, if the function is y = sin(2x), the period would be 2π/2 = π.

Can the period of a function be negative?

No, the period of a function cannot be negative. It is always a positive value representing the length of one complete cycle of the function.

What is the relationship between the period of a function and its frequency?

The period and frequency of a function are inversely proportional. This means that as the period increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa.

Why is calculating the period of a function important?

Calculating the period of a function is important because it helps us understand the behavior and characteristics of the function. It is also useful in solving real-world problems and making predictions based on the function's patterns.