1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex periodic functions in a vector space

1. Feb 25, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the set V + {all periodic *complex* functions of time t with period 1} Draw two example functions that belong to V.

Show that if f(t) and g(t) are members of V then so is f(t) + g(t)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

f(t) = e(i*w0*t))

g(t) =e(i*w0*t +φ))

Where W0 = 2*π

Using 'Euler's' I can write these as;

f(t) =cos(w0*t) + i*sin(w0*t)

g(t) =cos(w0*t +φ) + i*sin(w0*t +φ)

So for part a) I would plot these functions separating the real and imaginary parts and choosing a value for φ to illustrate the phase shift?

Partb) f(t) + g(t) = e(i*w0*t)) + e(i*w0*t +φ))

= (1 + eφ) * ei*w0*t

The signal remains a periodic complex function of t with a period of 1 and is therefore a member of V.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2017 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What makes you think the functions are complex valued? Is that in the question? I ask because that make them hard to draw.

Are all complex functions of the form ##e^{iwt}##?

4. Feb 25, 2017 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

Part (2) is asking you to prove the result for all possible choices of [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex], not just your two example functions.

5. Feb 25, 2017 #4
    Sorry, I missed the complex part out of the question, I have edited my post now

6. Feb 25, 2017 #5

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Okay. What's the definition of a periodic function?

7. Feb 25, 2017 #6

I thought all periodic ones were, or could be represented by the exponential equivalent?

8. Feb 25, 2017 #7
    A function that repeats itself over a set period

9. Feb 25, 2017 #8

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not at all!

Can you express that mathematically? In this case for a function of period ##1##.

10. Feb 25, 2017 #9

Sin(wt) ≡ Sin(wt+t) ?

11. Feb 25, 2017 #10

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Come on, that's not a definition of anything! A definition would have to be something like:

##f## is periodic with period ##1## if ...

12. Feb 25, 2017 #11
    f is periodic with a period of 1 if ... Sin(2π*t) ≡Sin(2πt+T)

13. Feb 25, 2017 #12

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To be honest, it's difficult to know what to say to that. It suggests that you lack some basic understanding of mathematics. ##\sin## is an example of a periodic function, but in no way is it the only periodic function or the definition of a periodic function.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periodic_function

14. Feb 25, 2017 #13

Sorry, I was using Sin as an example, I appreciate it is not the only periodic function. Therefore, a function f(x) is said to be periodic if f(x) = f(x+P)

15. Feb 26, 2017 #14
    h(t+1) = f(t+1) + g(t+1) =f(t)+g(t)=h(t)

Would I use a general form for a complex periodic function? And prove the above using that?

Thanks

16. Feb 26, 2017 #15

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, exactly.

17. Feb 26, 2017 #16
    Would the general form be related to the complex fourier series?

Thanks

18. Feb 26, 2017 #17

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Absolutely nothing to do with Fourier series. This is an algebraic result and requires no analytical structure whatsoever.

19. Feb 26, 2017 #18
    Ah, I though as fourier series was for representing a periodic signal I could use the Cke(-iwt) as a model for a complex periodic signal

Would I instead set

f(t) =A*ei(wot +θ1)

g(t) =B*ei(wot +θ2)

And set about proving h(t+1) = f(t+1) + g(t+1) =f(t)+g(t)=h(t) ?

Thanks

20. Feb 26, 2017 #19

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You still have a fundamental misunderstandinhg of what is a periodic function. It has absolutely nothing to do with sines, cosines, exponentials, Fourier Series or whatever else. Periodicity is a simple algebraic property:

A function, ##f## is periodic with period ##P## if ##\forall x \ f(x+P) = f(x)##. That is it. And that is all you can use.

Here's an example:

##f(x) = 1## when ##x## is an integer, and ##f(x) = 0## otherwise.

##f## is periodic with period ##1##, but is clearly not a sine, cosine or exponential.

So, if you tried to prove that all periodic functions are of the form ##exp(iwt)## then you would be wrong, as the function above demonstrates.

I misunderstood your post #14, which I thought was a proof for general periodic functions, ##f## and ##g##. Post #14 is essentially a valid proof of the result. So, your misunderstanding extends to not recognising a proof even when you've done it!

Can you see why post #14 is a proof? And why there is nothing more to do, other to to say more formally what you doing?

21. Feb 26, 2017 #20
    It's definitely becoming clear now, the complex part was confusing me though, is it possible that while h(t+1) = f(t+1) + g(t+1) =f(t)+g(t)=h(t) holds true, is it possible that h(t) could no longer be a complex function and thus not a part of V?

Say if f(t) =-g(t) then h(t) would still = h(t+T) but would it still be considered a complex function?

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted