Calculating power as a function of time

In summary: So the instantaneous power at time t is given by P(t) = 5t/8 * 5 = 25t/8.In summary, we are given a force of 5N acting on a body of 8 kg in the +x direction, and asked to formulate an expression for the power generated as a function of time. By using Newton's third law, we can find the force exerted on the body to be 5N. By integrating the acceleration twice, we can find the distance as a function of time, which leads to an expression of total work done at time t as (25/16)t^2. To find the instantaneous power at time t, we can use the equation P(t)
hk4491

Homework Statement

A force of 5 N acts upon a body of 8 kg in the +x direction. Formulate an expression for the power generated as a function of time. The body is in the beginning at t=0 and x=0 (Sorry I'm translating this question from German, so excuse the mistakes).

Homework Equations

Work = Force * distance

Power = ΔW/Δt

Force = mass * acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the force of 5N is acting on the body, by Newton's third law, it is also exerting the same force, so that:

F = m * a

5 = 8*a

a=5/8 m/s^2

By integrating the acceleration twice I get the distance as a function of time:

x(t) = 5/8 t^2

Work = Force * distance = 5 * (5/8)t^2 = (25/8)t^2

P(t) = (25/8)t

Was my method correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
hk4491 said:
By integrating the acceleration twice I get the distance as a function of time:

x(t) = 5/8 t^2
You forgot something in doing that integration.
Work = Force * distance = 5 * (5/8)t^2 = (25/8)t^2

P(t) = (25/8)t

Was my method correct?
You have divided the total work done over the distance by the total time taken. That will give you average power, but I think it is the instantaneous power at time t that is wanted.

Thanks I realized my mistake in the integration part. That leads to x(t)= 5/16 t^2.

The body starts moving at t0=0, so at any given point of time Δt = t - t0 = t

Hence:

P= (F*d)/t

P(t) = 25/16 t

hk4491 said:
Thanks I realized my mistake in the integration part. That leads to x(t)= 5/16 t^2.

The body starts moving at t0=0, so at any given point of time Δt = t - t0 = t

Hence:

P= (F*d)/t

P(t) = 25/16 t

No. You missed out a factor of half in your integration, so the correct expression for total work done at time t should be ##W(t) = \frac{25}{16}t^2##. This expression is not linear in t, so can you simply divide by t to find the power at time t? Shouldn't you be differentiating?

Basically, your original expression was correct - simply because your errors "cancelled out". You missed a half when integrating, then divided instead of differentiating, so you didn't include a requisite factor of 2.

Likes 1 person
Great, thanks for the explanation!

Another way of arriving at the answer is to remember that the instantaneous power is equal to the force times the velocity. The velocity at time t is 5t/8.

What is power as a function of time?

Power as a function of time refers to the rate at which energy is being transferred or used over a period of time. It is a measure of how quickly work is being done.

How do you calculate power as a function of time?

To calculate power as a function of time, you need to know the amount of work being done and the time it takes to do that work. The formula for power is P = W/t, where P is power, W is work, and t is time.

What are the units of power as a function of time?

The units of power as a function of time are watts (W) or joules per second (J/s). This means that power is measured in terms of energy per unit time.

Why is power as a function of time important?

Power as a function of time is important because it helps us understand the efficiency and effectiveness of a system. It also allows us to compare the performance of different systems and make improvements to increase power output.

What are some real-world applications of calculating power as a function of time?

Calculating power as a function of time is used in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and economics. Some real-world applications include determining the power output of a car engine, calculating the energy usage of a household, and measuring the efficiency of a power plant.