Calculating Power Dissipated in 20 Ohm Resistor: I = 12 sin(250t)

  • Thread starter Thread starter jesuslovesu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Current Power
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
jesuslovesu
Messages
185
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An electric current described by I = 12 sin(250t) flows through a 20 ohm resistor. Calculate the power dissipated as heat.


Homework Equations


V=IR
P=IV
P = I^2*R


The Attempt at a Solution


Using the last equation, P = I^2*R
P = 2880 sin^2(250t)
Is that the best answer I can give? The question gives no information about efficency so I'm not sure if I'm forgetting an equation or something. It doesn't give a value for time either.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you misinterpreted the problem. The problem asks for the power dissipated as heat, not the power in the element.
 
You need to integrate over a time period then divide by the period to get the root mean square (rms) value.