Calculating Power for all IC's on a Breadboard

In summary, to estimate the total power consumption of a circuit with multiple ICs on breadboards, you will need to consider both the quiescent (DC) consumption and the dynamic switching current. The quiescent consumption can be determined by consulting the datasheets for each IC and choosing the appropriate value. The dynamic switching current is calculated using the equation I = C dV/dt, where C is the capacitance of each driven net and dV/dt is the slew rate of the logic. This combined with the current drawn from the regulator will give you an estimate of the total power consumption.
HD555
Hi,

I have a few breadboards with many IC's - analog and digital. How can I estimate the total power consumption? I know P = IV = I^2/R. Is it just my overall supplied source * total current consumption?

I'm currently supplying my breadboards with a single power source, and using voltage regulators to knock the voltage levels down. (I'm given a source > 20V. I'm using +15, +5 regulators to power my ICs). I see that the oscilloscope sources approximately 500 mA of current.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The current consumption will be a combination of the quiescent (DC) consumption, plus the switching current (AC).

The quiescent consumption is the sum of the Iq for each gate or IC. This is usually given in the datasheet for each part, as a min/typ/max range. You would have to choose which value is pertinant to your situation... For example, you would use the max numbers if you were making sure your voltage regulator was sized big enough for the worst-case current consumption.

The dynamic switching current comes from the switching activity of the circuit, with I = C dV/dt being the relevant equation. You need to know the capacitance of each driven net, and the slew rate of the logic. When the gate output drives a net high, it is charging the capacitance of that net, which requires current drawn from the + voltage rail. When the gate pulls a net low, it is dischargning that capacitance by pulling current out of the net to ground. The charging part of the AC cycle is what draws extra current from the + rail, and is what gets added to the Iq to give you the total current drawn from the regulator.

I would recommend using a multimeter to measure the current draw of each individual IC on the breadboard. This will give you a more accurate estimation of the total power consumption. Additionally, you can refer to the datasheets of each IC to determine their maximum power consumption and use that as a guide for your calculations. It is important to also consider the efficiency of your voltage regulators and take that into account when calculating the overall power consumption. If you are using multiple power sources, make sure to add up the individual power consumptions from each source. I would also suggest regularly checking and monitoring the power consumption to ensure that it is within safe limits and to troubleshoot any potential issues.

1. What is the purpose of calculating power for all IC's on a breadboard?

The purpose of calculating power for all IC's (integrated circuits) on a breadboard is to ensure that the circuit will function properly and safely. This involves determining the total power required for all the components on the breadboard and selecting the appropriate power supply to provide that amount of power.

2. How do I calculate the power requirements for my IC's on a breadboard?

To calculate the power requirements, you will need to know the individual power requirements for each IC, which can typically be found in the datasheet. Then, you can use the formula P = I * V, where P is power in watts, I is current in amps, and V is voltage. Repeat this calculation for each IC and add the results to determine the total power required for the circuit.

3. What factors can affect the power requirements for IC's on a breadboard?

The power requirements for IC's on a breadboard can be affected by several factors, such as the voltage and current ratings of the IC's, the type and number of components connected to the IC's, and the operating conditions of the circuit (e.g. temperature, load). It is important to consider all these factors when calculating the power requirements.

4. What happens if the power supply I choose does not provide enough power for all IC's on the breadboard?

If the power supply does not provide enough power for all IC's on the breadboard, the circuit may not function properly or may even be damaged. It is important to always choose a power supply that can provide enough power for the entire circuit, taking into account any potential variations in power requirements.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when calculating power for IC's on a breadboard?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when calculating power for IC's on a breadboard. Firstly, always make sure to use a power supply that is rated for the voltage and current requirements of the circuit. Additionally, be careful not to exceed the maximum ratings of the IC's, as this can lead to damage. Finally, always double check your calculations and connections before powering on the circuit.