Calculating Power Requirement for Pump Filler for Ice Cream Project

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
wnh
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Im new to this forum and I am seeking some help. I have recently doing a project for ice cream. In order to choose a suitable filler for filling process, i need to calculate the power requirement and capacity for the pump filler. I m really hope that you can show me the step for this calculation since it involves piston pump/hydraulic pump calculation instead of centrifugal pump calculation.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't help with any calculations of that sort, but I do have to ask you something. Is this design already mandated to be a piston pump? The reason that I ask is that it seems to me that in this application a screw-type extruder would be far more efficient.
 
Not necessary but it seem that to discharge the ice cream i need a compressor,for higher viscosity, positive displacement one.
 
Seriously, then... look into an auger (screw). It's most assuredly positive displacement, and requires only a rotary input with no cranks or pumps or whatever else. Here's a quick overview. The article deals with one for plastic, but exactly the same thing will work excellently on ice cream. Unlike the one for plastic, yours will have no need for a heater.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastics_extrusion