1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating pressure and temperature

1. Jan 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello any help would be really really welcome, and I really need some.

how would I Calculate the temperature and pressure of a gas? I know the peak of the distribution of the atoms, the number of atoms and the volume of the container.

(not going to give specifics as I don't want to risk being given the answer)

2. Relevant equations

would I use this P + 1/2ρ v^2 + ρgh = constant.

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2010 #2
    Well the equation that you've given does not have temperature, so it would be tough to use that one. Give us some made up numbers if you dont want the right answer

4. Jan 28, 2010 #3
    hello, thanks for the response

shall we say that the container is 1.0 x 10^-3 m^3 has 1.0 x 10^20 atoms of gas (H) in equilibrium The distribution of speeds of the gas atoms shows at 400 ms ^-1.

That is sort of the information I have... just changed a little.

5. Jan 28, 2010 #4
    Okay I don't know if there is a formula for this. But if its an ideal gas, you can use PV=nRT. I realize you have no pressure or temperature so you wouldnt be able to use that formula where we are now. But my intuition tells me that you can calculate either the pressure or temperature using the speed of the gas atoms. You have moles and you have volume, you also have R.

6. Jan 28, 2010 #5
  7. Jan 28, 2010 #6
    great. Thanks very much for the help, and I think that equation is exactley what I am looking for.

Thanks again

8. Jan 28, 2010 #7
    yessir

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook