Calculating pressure with U.S. customary units

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion and inconsistencies in the use of U.S. customary units and their conversion to other units. The main issue is the use of the pound as both a unit of mass and a unit of force, leading to errors in calculations. The conversation also mentions alternative units, such as the slug and the poundal, and their relationships to the pound. Ultimately, it is important to clarify and use the correct units in order to avoid confusion and mistakes in calculations.
pvorisek25
(Sorry for my bad English.)

Hello,

I am trying to understand U.S. customary units (don't ask why I am trying to do this) but when I was calculating pressure to lb/in2 I went into problem. I remember that p = F / S but when you have mass you have to multiply mass by gravitational acceleration to get force. So that means p = (m * g) / S. But when I have m = 10 lb; S = 100 in and g = 393 in/s2 and calculate p = (10 * 393) / 100 it just does not work. But when I remove gravitational acceleration it works. But m is mass and we have to multiply it with gravitational acceleration when we want to know force. I searched on Wikipedia and on Wikipedia is that psi isn't pound per square inch but it's pound-force per square inch. But anyway it is still FORCE. Does someone know how it works?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pound is a unit for force.

In other words, ##mg## equals 10 lbf.

Unfortunately yet another shortcoming of the system is that the pound is officially sanctioned as a unit of mass but is commonly used as a unit of force.

Mister T said:
In other words, ##mg## equals 10 lbf.

Unfortunately yet another shortcoming of the system is that the pound is officially sanctioned as a unit of mass but is commonly used as a unit of force.

Oh, I see. Thank you.

In imperial units both mass and force are conveniently measured by the unit pound (lb)
1 lb of mass = 0.453 kg, whereas 1lb of force (lbf) = 0.453 * 9.8 = 4.448N = 0.453 (kgf) kg force

Using the same unit for both mass and force are sometimes used in SI and derived units also, considering 1kg of force = 9.80665 N

For example
1 atm pressure = 101325 Pa (N/m2) = 10332 kg force/m2
Considering g = 9.80665
101325 / 9.80665 = 10332

In the same manner torque is measured in ft.lb in Imperial and N.m or Kg.m in SI derived units.

ROTFL about the word "conveniently" :oldlaugh:

Anand Sivaram said:
Using the same unit for both mass and force are sometimes used in SI and derived units also, considering 1kg of force = 9.80665 N

The kilogram-force is not part of SI, and is not sanctioned for use with the SI.

The avoirdupois pound is, by definition, exactly 0.453 592 37 kg.

Likes vanhees71 and Anand Sivaram
Correct. kg-f is not an SI unit. Sorry for the confusion.
Mister T said:
The kilogram-force is not part of SI, and is not sanctioned for use with the SI.

I was taught that the slug was the official US unit of mass (one slug weighs 32 lbs on earth). I always was amused by the unit...

There are two entities that have units of pounds in Imperial: ##lb_f## and ##lb_m##. In addition to the ##lb_m## unit of mass, there is another unit of mass called the slug. When using F = ma, if F is the force in ##lb_f##, the correct mass unit to use is the slug. So, $$1\ lb_f=1\ \frac{slug\ ft}{s^2}$$ The ##lb_m## is related to the slug by $$1\ lb_m=1\ \frac{slug}{32.2}$$The ##lb_f## is the force required to accelerate 1 ##lb_m## at the acceleration of gravity, 32.2 ft/s^2. So the ##lb_f## is the weight of 1 ##lb_m##. If we want to express Newton's 2nd law in terms of ##lb_m## rather than in terms of slugs, we must write: $$F=\frac{ma}{32.2}$$Hope this helps.

There are a number of sets of units that feature something called a "pound".

There is the pound-mass, pound-force, foot, second system in which, as @Chestermiller points out, ##F=\frac{ma}{32.2}## for force in pounds force, mass in pounds mass and acceleration in feet/second2.

There is the slug, pound-force, foot, second system in which ##F=ma## for force in pounds force, mass in slugs and acceleration in feet/second2. The slug is 32.2 pounds mass.

There is the pound-mass, poundal, foot, second system in which ##F=ma## for force in poundals, mass in pounds mass and acceleration in feet/second2. The poundal is 1/32.2 pounds force.

1. How do I calculate pressure using U.S. customary units?

To calculate pressure using U.S. customary units, you will need to use the formula: pressure = force / area. You will need to know the force in pounds (lbs) and the area in square inches (in2). The resulting unit of pressure will be pounds per square inch (psi).

2. What is the conversion factor for U.S. customary units of pressure?

The conversion factor for U.S. customary units of pressure is 1 psi = 0.068046 atm. This means that 1 pound per square inch is equal to 0.068046 atmospheres.

3. Can I use other units of measurement to calculate pressure?

Yes, you can use other units of measurement to calculate pressure, such as the metric unit of pressure, Pascal (Pa). However, if you are using U.S. customary units, it is important to convert all measurements to the appropriate units before calculating pressure.

4. What are some common examples of pressure in everyday life?

Some common examples of pressure in everyday life include the pressure exerted by the weight of the atmosphere, known as atmospheric pressure, and the pressure inside a car tire, known as tire pressure. Pressure is also used to measure the strength of wind, the force of a person's grip, and the compression of gases in a scuba tank.

5. How is pressure related to other physical properties?

Pressure is related to other physical properties, such as temperature and volume, through the ideal gas law. This law states that the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature and inversely proportional to its volume. This means that as temperature increases, pressure increases, and as volume decreases, pressure increases.