Calculating Probability of Spin Measurement in System of Particles

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
greisen
Messages
75
Reaction score
0
Hey,

I am a little confused with this system 1/2 particles spin at t=0

|PSI(0)> = 1/sqrt(3) (|+>_1|+>_2 + |+>_1|->_2 + |->_1|->_2

the values of S_1z and S_2z are measured at t=0. Then I have to calculate the probability that the same value will be found for the two particles.

Any help apreciated
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The probability of measuring each of the three states is 1/3.
How many of the states have s_1z=s_2z?
 
hmmm. I get that the probability for the three states is 1/3
P = |<a|a>|^2 for each of the vectors. So the probability for measuring the same state for two particles can be calculated using conditional probability ?

Thanks for your reply
 
Two states have the same spin,, so the prob is 2/3.