Calculating resultant forces given FBD

In summary, a truck of mass 8000 kg is accelerating at 5.0 m/s2 up a hill of inclination 4 degrees to the horizontal. The normal force and gravity forces cancel out, leaving the friction force and the truck's force in the direction of travel. To find the force exerted by the truck on the road, the x-component of the gravity force must be calculated using F=ma. The net force on the truck can then be found by subtracting the friction force from the truck's force, and the force exerted by the road on the truck can be found using Newton's second law.
cdn88

Homework Statement

A truck of mass 8000 kg is accelerating at 5.0 m/s2 up a hill of inclination 4 degrees to the horizontal The friction forces on the truck add up to 5500 N.

What force does the truck exert against the road in the direction of travel?

What force does the road exert on the truck in the direction of travel?

With the truck's engine working just as hard, what would be the acceleration of the truck down the hill?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

For the force the truck is exerting i used F=ma so F=(8000)(5)=40 000N
I just don't believe it's that simple, do i need to break down the incline into x and y components? In which case I am not given enough information..

Physics news on Phys.org
t
cdn88 said:

Homework Statement

A truck of mass 8000 kg is accelerating at 5.0 m/s2 up a hill of inclination 4 degrees to the horizontal The friction forces on the truck add up to 5500 N.

What force does the truck exert against the road in the direction of travel?

What force does the road exert on the truck in the direction of travel?

With the truck's engine working just as hard, what would be the acceleration of the truck down the hill?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

For the force the truck is exerting i used F=ma so F=(8000)(5)=40 000N
I just don't believe it's that simple, do i need to break down the incline into x and y components? In which case I am not given enough information..
you are mis-stating Newton's 2nd law. It's F_net =ma. F_net consists of several forces. What are they? You have all the info you need.

PhanthomJay said:
tyou are mis-stating Newton's 2nd law. It's F_net =ma. F_net consists of several forces. What are they? You have all the info you need.

The forces are normal, gravity, friction, and the trucks excretion on the road, normal and gravity cancel, so i need to incorporate friction?

another thought, 5500N cos 4 and 5500N sin 4 give me x and y components of friction, I am just thinking about how to apply this to the equation.

Last edited:
cdn88 said:
The forces are normal, gravity, friction, and the trucks excretion on the road,
Well, Yes!,but when you are looking at the forces on the truck,you are looking at the force exerted by the road on the truck, the Earth on the truck,the normalforce on the truck,and the friction on the truck
normal and gravity cancel,
No!
so i need to incorporate friction?
Yes, and the gravity component down the plane.
another thought, 5500N cos 4 and 5500N sin 4 give me x and y components of friction, I am just thinking about how to apply this to the equation.
When you are dealing with problems involving inclines, it is most often best to choose the x-axis parallel to the incline, and the y-axis perpendicular to the incline. It makes life a lot easer. You just have to tilt your head and watch your geometry and trig. So you have the truck force along the x direction parallel to and up the incline, and the friction force along the x-axis parallel to and down the incline; now you just need to know the component of the gravity force down the incline,and use Newton 2 to solve for the force exerted by the road on the truck. Then what about the force exerted by the truck on the road??
And welcome to PF!

ok, thank you! so i set up the incline to be the xaxis. now, the force of gravity is found by f = mg ((8000)(9.8) = 78400 so 78400 sin 4 = 5468.9 which is the x component of the gravity force?

so, does f_net=ma mean 40000 is the total force so i subtract gravity force and friction to find what the truck is exerting to move 5m/s up the incline?

if so, 40000-5500-5441= 29059 N am i on the right track?
thank you for your help.

edit: or wait, if 40000N is the force needed to maintain 5m/s^2 for 8000kg then i may have to add the forces of gravity and friction?
edit2: i believe my last edit is wrong.

Last edited:

What is a free body diagram (FBD)?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object. These forces include external forces from other objects, such as gravity or friction, and internal forces within the object itself. It is used to analyze the motion and calculate the resultant forces acting on the object.

How do you draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, you must first identify the object of interest and all the external and internal forces acting on it. Then, draw a simple diagram of the object, showing all the forces as arrows pointing in the direction of the force. Remember to label each force with its magnitude and direction.

What is the resultant force?

The resultant force is the single force that represents the combined effect of all the forces acting on an object. It is calculated by adding all the forces in a specific direction, taking into account their magnitudes and directions. The resultant force can determine the motion of an object, such as whether it will accelerate or remain at rest.

How do you calculate the resultant force given a free body diagram?

To calculate the resultant force, you must first resolve all the forces into their components in the chosen direction. Then, add up all the components in that direction to determine the resultant force. Remember to consider the direction of the forces and whether they are acting towards or away from the object.

What is the importance of calculating resultant forces using FBD?

Calculating resultant forces using FBD is essential in understanding the motion and equilibrium of an object. It allows scientists to predict how an object will behave under different forces and to design structures and systems that can withstand these forces. Additionally, it is a fundamental concept in various fields such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics.