Vertical Force of Each Truck Wheel: 68670N

In summary: Thanks!In summary, a truck with a mass of 12000 kg carrying a load of 16000 kg exerts a vertical force of 68670 N on the road by each wheel assuming the mass is uniformly spread. If the numbers are given in scientific notation, the correct values should be used for the calculations. To find the effective thrust of a lorry starting from rest with an acceleration of 2 ms-2, the total mass should be converted to total weight and then divided by four to find the weight (force) supported by each wheel.
fleur

Homework Statement

A truck (mass 12000 kg) carries a load of 16000kg. What vertical force is exerted on the road by each wheel assuming the mass is uniformly spread?

Homework Equations

F=ma[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

12000kg+16000kg=28000kg total mass
28000/4=7000kg to get mass on each wheel[/B]
F=ma 7000kgx9.81=68670 N

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
fleur said:

Homework Statement

A truck (mass 1.2 x 104 kg) carries a load of 1.6 x 104 kg. What vertical force is exerted on the road by each wheel assuming the mass is uniformly spread?

Homework Equations

F=ma[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

1.2 x 104 kg+1.6 x 104 kg=291.2kg total mass
291.2/4=72.8kg to get mass on each wheel[/B]
F=ma 72.8kgx9.81=714 N
Those numbers in the problem statement are given using scientific notation, although the powers of ten are missing the superscript for the exponents. So for the truck mass, for example, 1.2 x 104 kg should read: 1.2 x 104 kg, which is equivalent to 12000 kg.

Fix your starting numbers accordingly and retry your calculations.

gneill said:
Those numbers in the problem statement are given using scientific notation, although the powers of ten are missing the superscript for the exponents. So for the truck mass, for example, 1.2 x 104 kg should read: 1.2 x 104 kg, which is equivalent to 12000 kg.

Fix your starting numbers accordingly and retry your calculations.
I have made the changes is the method i used correct though?

I have another question and I have no clue on how to attempt this one

The lorry starts from rest with an acceleration of 2 ms-2.
What is the effective thrust is being exerted?

fleur said:
I have made the changes is the method i used correct though?
The method is okay and will deliver the correct result.

If it were me doing the problem I would probably find the total mass then convert that to total weight (multiply mass by g) before finally dividing by four to find the weight (force) supported by each wheel.

Likes fleur
fleur said:
I have another question and I have no clue on how to attempt this one

The lorry starts from rest with an acceleration of 2 ms-2.
What is the effective thrust is being exerted?
Please start a new thread for a new question.

1. What is the significance of the vertical force of each truck wheel?

The vertical force of each truck wheel is the amount of weight that is placed on the wheel as it supports the weight of the truck. This force is important because it affects the overall stability and handling of the truck, as well as the wear and tear on the tires and suspension system.

2. How is the vertical force of each truck wheel measured?

The vertical force of each truck wheel is typically measured using a force gauge or a scale. The truck is placed on top of the scale and the weight of each wheel is recorded. This measurement can also be calculated by multiplying the weight of the truck by the percentage of weight that is distributed to each wheel.

3. What factors can affect the vertical force of each truck wheel?

The vertical force of each truck wheel can be affected by a variety of factors, including the weight of the truck and its load, the distribution of weight within the truck, the condition of the tires and suspension system, and the terrain that the truck is driving on.

4. Can the vertical force of each truck wheel be adjusted?

Yes, the vertical force of each truck wheel can be adjusted by changing the weight distribution within the truck. For example, if there is too much weight on one wheel, items can be shifted to other parts of the truck to distribute the weight more evenly.

5. What are the consequences of an incorrect vertical force of each truck wheel?

If the vertical force of each truck wheel is incorrect, it can lead to uneven weight distribution, which can affect the stability and handling of the truck. It can also cause excessive wear and tear on the tires and suspension system, leading to potential safety hazards and costly repairs.