Calculating Reynolds number in wind tunnel

In summary, the Reynolds number for an obstacle in a wind tunnel is related to the air density, air velocity, and dynamic viscosity.
mostafagemy
when calculating a Reynolds number for an obstacle in wind tunnel
Re = air density * air velocity * D / Dynamic viscosity
D here is the characteristic length of the immersed body ( frontal length ) 2 dimensional problem
Or the Hydraulic diameter which relates the tunnel dimensions to the characteristic length of the immersed body ?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends entirely on for what reason what you are calculating the Reynolds number. In general, you won't be using any tunnel dimensions, as almost all interesting quantities are going to be related to the model you are using. Usually the idea is to use the most relevant characteristic length for what you are studying, be it the diameter of your object, the chord of your object, the boundary layer thickness, roughness height or any other number of things.

really , I need to verify a model on a program ( flow over a square cylinder with different angles of attack to calc the drag and lift coefficients on it ) . I looked a lot for others work about this problem but what I found was only about 0 and 45 angle of attack , so if u can support me with other web sites , plots or books name , it will be a great help. And thanks for your reply.

That would be hard to do without any background on what you a trying to do (and saying you are just verifying a model doesn't really tell me much). For your purpose, the relevant Reynolds number is most likely going to be based on the length of one side of your cross section. I suppose the other option would be finding an effective diameter (similar to the hydraulic diameter of a square tube). I would look into the literature on the subject to figure out what the normal convention is in this case.

For example, perform a search over at JFM:
http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayJournal?jid=FLM

hi boneh3ah ,
I had a network connection problem yesterday

the attached photo is about the model I calculate the Cd & Cl for it.

I'm testing the variation of many parameters on Cd & Cl ( Air speed, square side dimension , tunnel height) also, the shape ( square , triangle)

the fixation points are in the middle of each side ( four fixation points ) & they are also the points which I measure the reaction forces on them.

I'm using Comsol multiphysics program for simulation problem.
thanks alot

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,032
Like I said, do a search through the literature. I remember seeing a JFM article about calculating lift and drag on a square cylinder, but I personally am not all that familiar with this particular flow problem so I can't tell you all that much.

What I can tell you is that your simulation appears to be steady and laminar based on the wake and this is a highly unsteady phenomenon.

thanks a lot for your help boneh3ad

1. What is the Reynolds number and why is it important in wind tunnel testing?

The Reynolds number is a dimensionless number used to predict the type of flow (laminar or turbulent) in a fluid. It is important in wind tunnel testing because it helps determine the scale and accuracy of the model being tested. It also helps in comparing results from different wind tunnels.

2. How is the Reynolds number calculated in a wind tunnel?

The Reynolds number is calculated by dividing the product of the air density, velocity, and characteristic length of the model by the dynamic viscosity of the air. The characteristic length is typically the length of the model or the diameter of a reference object.

3. What is the ideal Reynolds number for wind tunnel testing?

The ideal Reynolds number for wind tunnel testing depends on the purpose of the test. For general aerodynamic testing, a Reynolds number between 1 million and 10 million is considered adequate. However, for more specific applications, such as testing for aircraft or wind turbines, a Reynolds number in the range of 20 million to 200 million may be required.

4. How does the Reynolds number affect the results of wind tunnel testing?

The Reynolds number affects the results of wind tunnel testing by influencing the type of flow around the model. At lower Reynolds numbers, the flow is more likely to be laminar, while at higher Reynolds numbers, the flow is more likely to be turbulent. This can affect the accuracy of the results, as well as the drag and lift forces on the model.

5. Can the Reynolds number be adjusted in a wind tunnel?

Yes, the Reynolds number can be adjusted in a wind tunnel by changing the air density, velocity, or characteristic length of the model. However, changing any of these variables can also affect other parameters, so it is important to carefully consider the implications before making any adjustments to the Reynolds number.