Calculating Skier's Height Over Ramp and Hedge Using Kinematics and Energy

  • Thread starter Thread starter samdiah
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
samdiah
Messages
80
Reaction score
0
A skier swoops down a hill and over a ramp as in the attached figure. She starts from rest at a height of 16 m, leaves the 9.0 m ramp ata an angle of 45 degrees, and justt clears the hedge on her way down, making an angle of 30 degrees with the vertical as she does. Assuming that there is no friction, and that she is small compared to the dimensions of problem, solve for H, the height of the hedge in metres.


answer:
I am confused because I can't figure out what type of question this is! Is it dynamics or energy or combined? I think it can be solved using kinematics, but the question is on momentum and energy assignment. I would appreciate some help guiding me how to do this.
 
Attachments
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if this helps, but I think that roller coaster approach can be taken for this question.

Which would mean that the mechanical energy will be conserves and the only form of force would be from gravity.

We will also have Potential Energy (that will be max at top of cuve and kenetic energy (that will be 0 at top and increase as skier comes down).

KE = 0.5 * mass * (speed)^2

PE = mass * g * height
 
Is it true that angle of decline and incline will have no effect in this problem?
 
The answer for the question is 2.0 m, but I don't know how to do it. Can anyone please help?