Energy Loss of a ball falling off the lip of a ramp

In summary, the goal of this lab is to predict where the ball will land on the ground. The ball has a forward horizontal velocity of 20cm after rolling on the table, and a forward gravitational potential energy of 8.3 Joules. The ball falls off the table for 76.5cm with a forward horizontal velocity and a forward gravitational potential energy of 7.5 Joules.
Matt Bradford

Homework Statement

This is a Lab:
A Ball is placed on a 14cm high ramp and it rolls down to the bottom of the ramp and onto a table where it rolls 20cm (the ramp's horizontal displacement is 16.5cm). After rolling on the table, the ball falls off the table for 76.5cm with a forward horizontal velocity. The goal of the lab is to predict where the ball will land on the ground. **There is also a 1cm drop between the ramp and the table (this is the problem)

Homework Equations

Ug=mgh, KE=0.5m(v^2), Basic Kinematic Equations

3. My question:
I have attempted this lab by assuming that the gravitational potential energy is completely converted over into kinetic energy, so I set their equations equal in order to find velocity. My teacher has informed us that since the ball we use is metal, frictional force between the ball and table is negligible. With this information, I can assume that the velocity of the ball coming off of the ramp is equal to the velocity of the ball when exiting the table. I then predict the landing point by using kinematics, however, i always predict it too far. I believe this is because there is a 1cm drop between the ramp and the table that causes the ball to bounce and lose energy. How can I calculate this energy loss?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you take any notes on the amount of bouncing you observed? How long did it take for the ball to resume smooth horizontal motion?

Maybe look for other places the energy could go first? When the ball moved down the ramp did it roll without slipping or did it slide without rolling? Maybe a combination of both, some slipping before rolling?

Matt Bradford said:
With this information, I can assume that the velocity of the ball coming off of the ramp is equal to the velocity of the ball when exiting the table.
Velocity is a vector. Those two directions are different so the velocity cannot be the same. But the speeds will not be the same either. What will be (more or less) the same?

gneill said:
Did you take any notes on the amount of bouncing you observed? How long did it take for the ball to resume smooth horizontal motion?

Maybe look for other places the energy could go first? When the ball moved down the ramp did it roll without slipping or did it slide without rolling? Maybe a combination of both, some slipping before rolling?
Ok, these are good considerations, thank you!

Matt Bradford said:
Ok, these are good considerations, thank you!
Please respond to post #3, or at least clarify what you meant by saying the velocities would be the same.

haruspex said:
Velocity is a vector. Those two directions are different so the velocity cannot be the same. But the speeds will not be the same either. What will be (more or less) the same?
I meant to say that there would be a constant horizontal velocity from the exit point of the ramp to the end of the table, since there was no friction

Matt Bradford said:
I meant to say that there would be a constant horizontal velocity from the exit point of the ramp to the end of the table, since there was no friction
Ok.
You mentioned a 1cm drop at the end of the ramp. Are you counting that in the GPE that gets turned into KE?
Are you taking into account the rotational KE?
What friction there is from the table should send it further. When it drops from the ramp, its rotation should be too fast for its horizontal velocity, so any friction will turn some of the rotational KE back into horizontal KE.

1. What factors affect the energy loss of a ball falling off the lip of a ramp?

The energy loss of a ball falling off the lip of a ramp is affected by several factors, including the height of the ramp, the material and shape of the ramp, the mass and velocity of the ball, and the presence of external forces such as friction.

2. How does the height of the ramp impact the energy loss of the falling ball?

The higher the ramp, the more potential energy the ball has before it falls off the lip. This potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the ball falls, but some of it is lost due to energy dissipation from friction and air resistance. Therefore, a higher ramp will result in a greater energy loss for the falling ball.

3. Does the material and shape of the ramp affect the energy loss of the falling ball?

Yes, the material and shape of the ramp can have a significant impact on the energy loss of the falling ball. A smoother and more polished surface will result in less friction and therefore less energy loss. Additionally, a curved ramp will allow the ball to roll smoothly, reducing energy loss compared to a sharp corner or edge.

4. How does the mass of the ball affect the energy loss when falling off the ramp?

The mass of the ball affects the energy loss in two ways. Firstly, a heavier ball will have more kinetic energy due to its larger mass, resulting in a greater energy loss when it falls off the ramp. Secondly, a heavier ball will experience more friction and air resistance, leading to a higher energy loss compared to a lighter ball.

5. Can external forces such as friction affect the energy loss of the falling ball?

Yes, external forces such as friction and air resistance can have a significant impact on the energy loss of the falling ball. Friction between the ramp and the ball will result in some of the ball's energy being converted into heat, while air resistance will slow down the ball as it falls, causing a greater energy loss.