Calculating Speed of a Snowball Thrown Horizontally

  • Thread starter Thread starter dani123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Speed
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
dani123
Messages
134
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A snowball which is thrown horizontally from the top of a building that is 14.0m high lands 22.0m from the base of the building. How fast was the snowball traveling when it was thrown from the building?


Homework Equations



dh= Vh * Δt
dv= 1/2 * at2
g=9.8m/s

The Attempt at a Solution



So I started off by finding the time by solving for t in the dv equation given above. I found that t=1.7seconds

I then took that value and plugged it into the dh equation to solve for the velocity with respect to the horizontal. And I also replaced dh=22.0m from what the problem gives us.

Vh= 13.0 m/s which is our answer we are looking for!

I am posting this question just to ask if anyone would be able to verify my work and that the significant figures are respected! Thanks so much in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
yep, you got it all correct. pretty neat, too (which will make the teacher happy). To make the teacher more impressed, you could have arranged the equations so that you only have to do one calculation at the end of the problem, without explicitly calculating t. But doing it your way was fine too.