Velocity of the bowling ball- projectile motion

In summary, Tony has a tendency to drop his bowling ball on the floor and let go when it is 0.28m above the floor. The ball travels a horizontal distance of 1.80m before making a "thud" sound. By solving for the time and rearranging equations, it was found that Tony threw the ball with a horizontal velocity of 7.53 meters per second.
dani123

Homework Statement

Tony has a tendency to drop his bowling ball on the floor at the completion of his follow-through swing. Tony let's the ball go when the ball is 0.28m above the floor. If the ball travels a horizontal distance of 1.80m before you hear a "thud", with what velocity did Tony throw the bowling ball?

Homework Equations

dv=1/2*at2
dh=Vh*Δt
Kinetic equation d=Vi*t+ 1/2*at2
dh=-V2*sin2θ /g

The Attempt at a Solution

dv=0.28m
dh=1.80m
Vh=?

Solve for t and found that t=4.18s by rearranging the dv equation.

Then that value was plugged into the dh equation and rearranged to solve for Vh, to give Vh=0.43m/s.

I would like for someone to just verify my answer and check that the significant figures are being respected. Thanks so much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the initial velocity of the ball horizontal?

it doesn't specify in the question.. but I that's what I think... :S

Right, since that the max speed of the ball will be when the ball hits the floor and travels horizontal, you'll need to find the time that this takes. You have an a=0, u=0 S(vertical)=0.28m.

From this you can use s=ut+1/2at2 Since U=0 the time that this takes is equal to √2s/a.

You now have a time, and a horizontal distance, use speed =horizontal distance/time to get horizontal velocity.

This works out to be 7.53 meters per second. Hope that helps.

I did the same thing when i used an example i found online as a guideline, but then i went one step further and found the final velocity of the entire motion i think. After finding 7.53m/s, i went on to do the following:

|Vf|= √(Vix)2+(Vfy)2= √(7.53m/s)2+(-2.34m/s)2= 7.89m/s

but now I am confused as to why I did that last part and if even means anything... Do you know what this last part I did gives me? If it even gives me any information in regards to Tony and the way he throws the bowling ball?

Thank you very much for your time and help, it is greatly appreciated!

That finds the magnitude of it, though I think this would include the motion due to Earth's gravity. Which isn't what the question wants. it wants how fast did he throw the ball. If anything you need to discount the velocity that the ball would gain due to gravity. Though I'm fairly confident in 7.53.

thank you!

1. What is the velocity of a bowling ball in projectile motion?

The velocity of a bowling ball in projectile motion is the speed and direction at which it travels through the air. It can be calculated using the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.

2. How is the velocity of a bowling ball affected by air resistance?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down the velocity of a bowling ball in projectile motion. This is because the air molecules create a force that acts in the opposite direction to the motion of the ball. As the ball travels through the air, it must push the air molecules out of the way, which requires energy and ultimately decreases the ball's velocity.

3. Does the mass of the bowling ball affect its velocity in projectile motion?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the mass of an object does not affect its velocity in projectile motion. This means that a heavier bowling ball will travel at the same velocity as a lighter bowling ball when thrown with the same initial velocity and under the same conditions.

4. How does the angle of release affect the velocity of a bowling ball in projectile motion?

The angle of release, also known as the launch angle, can greatly affect the velocity of a bowling ball in projectile motion. The optimal launch angle for maximum distance is 45 degrees. As the launch angle deviates from this optimal angle, the horizontal velocity decreases and the vertical velocity increases, resulting in a shorter distance travelled.

5. Can the velocity of a bowling ball in projectile motion be greater than the initial velocity?

No, the velocity of a bowling ball in projectile motion cannot be greater than the initial velocity. This is because the force of gravity acting on the ball will always cause it to slow down, resulting in a final velocity that is equal to or less than the initial velocity.