1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of the bowling ball- projectile motion

1. Apr 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Tony has a tendency to drop his bowling ball on the floor at the completion of his follow-through swing. Tony lets the ball go when the ball is 0.28m above the floor. If the ball travels a horizontal distance of 1.80m before you hear a "thud", with what velocity did Tony throw the bowling ball?

2. Relevant equations

dv=1/2*at2
    dh=Vh*Δt
    Kinetic equation d=Vi*t+ 1/2*at2
    dh=-V2*sin2θ /g

3. The attempt at a solution

dv=0.28m
    dh=1.80m
    Vh=?

Solve for t and found that t=4.18s by rearranging the dv equation.

Then that value was plugged into the dh equation and rearranged to solve for Vh, to give Vh=0.43m/s.

I would like for someone to just verify my answer and check that the significant figures are being respected. Thanks so much in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2012 #2
    Is the initial velocity of the ball horizontal?

4. Apr 15, 2012 #3
    it doesn't specify in the question.. but I that's what I think... :S

5. Apr 15, 2012 #4
    Right, since that the max speed of the ball will be when the ball hits the floor and travels horizontal, you'll need to find the time that this takes. You have an a=0, u=0 S(vertical)=0.28m.

From this you can use s=ut+1/2at2 Since U=0 the time that this takes is equal to √2s/a.

You now have a time, and a horizontal distance, use speed =horizontal distance/time to get horizontal velocity.

This works out to be 7.53 meters per second. Hope that helps.

6. Apr 22, 2012 #5
    I did the same thing when i used an example i found online as a guideline, but then i went one step further and found the final velocity of the entire motion i think. After finding 7.53m/s, i went on to do the following:

|Vf|= √(Vix)2+(Vfy)2= √(7.53m/s)2+(-2.34m/s)2= 7.89m/s

but now im confused as to why I did that last part and if even means anything... Do you know what this last part I did gives me? If it even gives me any information in regards to Tony and the way he throws the bowling ball?

Thank you very much for your time and help, it is greatly appreciated!

7. Apr 22, 2012 #6
    That finds the magnitude of it, though I think this would include the motion due to earths gravity. Which isn't what the question wants. it wants how fast did he throw the ball. If anything you need to discount the velocity that the ball would gain due to gravity. Though I'm fairly confident in 7.53.

8. Apr 22, 2012 #7
    thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook