1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating surface integral using diverg. thm.

1. Jan 24, 2014 #1
    I believe the book is wrong.. Can some one please check my work.
    PROBLEM IS IN THE 2nd POST ( SORRY I COULDNT ADD BOTH PICS FOR SOME REASON )

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2014 #2
    Problem:

Attached Files:

• RRR.jpg
      RRR.jpg
      File size:
      12.3 KB
      Views:
  4. Jan 25, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not an area I know well, but I think your problem is that 1/r gives you a singularity on the axis, so your divergence integral does not vanish there.

5. Jan 25, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I will check the book thingy, but checking your result is easier: what if k2 = 0 and k1 is not ?

6. Jan 25, 2014 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

If you could use Gauß's Theorem it would read
    [tex]\int_{V} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{F}=\int_{\partial V} \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{A} \cdot \vec{F}.[/tex]
    However, as already stated by haruspex, there is the problem along the [itex]z[/itex] axis, where the field is singular, and thus there the divergence of the field is not well defined. So you have to do the surface integral directly. I have not checked in detail, whether the book is correct, but the explanation looks correct.

7. Jan 25, 2014 #6
    Instead of making [1/r]d(k1)/dr = 0, I change it to k1/2 where r = 2. Then I get the correct answer.. still don't understand why though.

8. Jan 25, 2014 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's because ##\frac 1r \frac \partial {\partial r} r F(r)## is only valid where F(r) is defined, and F(r)=k/r is not defined at r = 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted