Calculating Temperature Change of a Lead Ball Dropped from 106.0 m

  • Thread starter Thread starter hatingphysics
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Heat
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
hatingphysics
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
A lead ball, with an initial temperature of 25 °C, is released from a height of 106.0 m. It does not bounce when it hits a hard surface. Assume all the energy of the fall goes into heating the lead. Find the temperature in °C of the ball after it hits. (You do not need to enter the units.) Data: c of lead = 128 [(J)/(kg·° C)].

I don't know where to go in this problem

I know you use Q=cm(deltaT) But I don't know what the mass and Q are so where do I go with this equation? Please help me out!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe the mass cancels out... What can you say about the kinetic energy of the ball as a function of the mass...