1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating temperature given altitude

1. Sep 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to figure out how to calculate the temperature at any given altitude in the troposphere.

2. Relevant equations
    Let P=air pressure, V=volume of air above a given altitude, n=number of moles of gas, R=the ideal gas constant, T=temperature, and h=height above sea levelX1 and X2 = the value of X at geographic point 1 and point 2.

PV=nRT (the ideal gas law)
    Volume of a sphere = 4/3*pi*radius3
    Surface area of a sphere = 4*pi*radius2

3. The attempt at a solution
    P1/ P2 = V1nRT1 / V2nRT2.

Now, we don't need to know what n and R are, because they are cancelled out of the equation. So ignore them. We are now left with P1/P2 = V1/V2 * T1/T2.

V = 4/3*pi*radius of troposphere - (4/3 * pi * (6371.5+h))
    V1 / V2 is pretty obvious and can't be simplified.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2012 #2
    The main problem that I see with this is that fall off in pressure is governed more by the barometric equation p= p0 exp (–h/A) where A is roughly 7 km, than by an increase in available volume at greater height.

I do not know how meteorologists do this calculation, but the recommendation of the ICAO Standard atmosphere is that the temperature will fall at a constant rate of 0.0065 °C/m up to 11 km altitude in the temperate zone. Obviously that is an "other things being equal" calculation that cannot take account of local atmospheric conditions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook