1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An ideal gas closed system reversible process

1. Feb 26, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    an Ideal gas at T = 70 C and 1 bar undergoes following reversible
    processes:
    a: Adiabatically compressed to 150 C
    b: then, cooled from 150 to 70 C at constant pressure
    c: finally, expanded isothermally to the original state (T=70 C and P = 1 bar)

2. Relevant equations
    1-dU=dQ+dW
    2-dU=CvdT
    3-(T2/T1)=(P2/P1)(R/Cp) from TP(1-ϒ)/ϒ=constant
    4-CpdT=dH
    3. The attempt at a solution
    So far for part a) I have done the equation dU=dQ+dW, since it is an adiabatic process I have dQ=0, thus leaving dU=dW. I know that dW=-PdV so I can calculate dU=CvdT to get my change in internal energy. From there I calculated P2 using equation 3.

For b) knowing it is an Cp problem I used equation 4 having CpdT=dH where my change in temperature is 150 to 70 C

I am stuck on part c)

I know it is an isotherm that means that there is no change in temperature thus dU and dH are equal to zero since they are temperature dependent. So dQ=dW. Do I make it so that T is a constant and solve with partial derivatives giving me dT=(V/R)dP+(P/R)dV. With dT=0 we get -PdV=VdP. Using the ideal gas equation to give V=RT/P ==> -(RT/P) dP. Integrating gives me -RTln(P2/P1)

My problem is I don't know what pressure to use. Do i just use the pressures calculated in my part b going from there back to the original state?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2017 #2
    You haven't told us the questions you need to answer!

4. Feb 27, 2017 #3
    Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted