Calculating temperature with energy absorbed

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of temperature increase for two pitchers of lemonade left in the sun, one made of copper and the other of glass. Using the equation Q=mcΔT and the given information of 1000J of energy absorbed in 10 minutes, it is found that the temperature increase is 16°C for copper and 7.4°C for glass after 1 hour. The conversation also includes a discussion on rearranging equations and using specific heat capacities to find the temperature increase.
pamelajanas

Homework Statement

Two pitchers of lemonade are left sitting in the sun at a picnic. One pitcher is made of copper and the other of glass. If each empty pitcher has a mass of 965 g and absorbs 1.0 x 10^3 J of energy 10.0 minutes, calculate the temperature increase of both empty pitchers in 1.0 hours.

Homework Equations

Q=mcΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

I still have no idea.
I tried rearranging the equations... and turning it into seconds...
My book says the answer for copper is 16°C and glass is 7.4°C.

Homework Statement

Physics news on Phys.org
If the pitchers absorb 1000J of energy in 10 minutes, how much energy will they absorb in 1 hour?

Xisune said:
If the pitchers absorb 1000J of energy in 10 minutes, how much energy will they absorb in 1 hour?

1000J in 10 minutes
60/10 = 6
∴ 6 x 1000 = 6000J in one hour?

Yes, now use that value for Q.

Xisune said:
Yes, now use that value for Q.

but isn't Q already 6000J/h? i am looking for temperature which is T.. so should i rearrange fore T= Q/mc ?

Q= heat or energy absorbed (J) = 6000J/h
m= mass (kg) = 0.965kg
c= specific heat capacity(J/(kg°C) ) = for copper: 3.8 x 10^2 and for glass: 8.4 x 10^2

right?

YAY! from that, I got it. Thank you! :)

1. How do you calculate temperature using energy absorbed?

To calculate temperature using energy absorbed, you can use the formula: temperature = energy absorbed / specific heat capacity. This formula takes into account the amount of energy absorbed and the specific heat capacity of the substance being heated.

2. What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius. It is a measure of how much energy a substance can store as heat.

3. How does the amount of energy absorbed affect the temperature?

The amount of energy absorbed directly affects the temperature of a substance. The more energy that is absorbed, the higher the temperature will be. This is because the energy is converted into thermal energy, which increases the kinetic energy of the particles in the substance, causing them to move faster and increase the temperature.

4. Can temperature be calculated using energy absorbed in any unit?

No, it is important to use consistent units when calculating temperature using energy absorbed. Typically, energy is measured in joules (J) and temperature is measured in degrees Celsius (°C) or Kelvin (K).

5. Is there a limit to how much energy can be absorbed by a substance?

Yes, there is a limit to how much energy a substance can absorb before it reaches its boiling or melting point. At this point, the energy absorbed will be used to change the state of the substance rather than increasing its temperature.