1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Tension in a Two Pulley Atwood Machine

1. Oct 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the force of tension in the string of an Atwood machine with masses (1 - on right) 69.95 grams, (2 - middle) 80.11 grams, and (3 - on right) 60.28 grams. When this value is determined, verify that the net force in the atwood machine is equal to zero.

.........\........|......../
    .....44º.\.46º.|.60º./.30º
    ----------------------------- (all angles are measured from this line, x components)
    .......|..........|...........|
    .......|..........|...........|
    .....m1.......m2........m3

2. Relevant equations

Fg = mg
    Fnet = Fg + Ft (Fnet should equal approx. 0)

3. The attempt at a solution

First, calculating the force of gravity on each of the masses:

Fg1 = (0.06995)(9.8)
    = 0.68 N

Fg2 = (0.08011)(9.8)
    = 0.79 N

Fg3 = (0.060280)(9.8)
    = 0.59 N

Secondly, using the angles measured and the forces of gravity determined, solve for the x and y components.

y1 = 0.68 N
    y2 = 0.59N

x1/sin 46 = 0.68/sin 44
    x1 = 0.70 N

x2/sin 60 = 0.59/sin 30
    x2 = 1.02 N

Writing Fnet statements for both x and y components produces:

Fnet(x) = 0.70 N + 1.02 N
    = 1.72 N

Fnet(y) = 0.68 N + 0.79 N + 0.59
    = 2.06 N

Finally:
    Fnet = Fx + Fy
    Fnet = 1.72 - 2.06
    Fnet = 0.34 N

The sum of each of these Fnet statements is supposed to be approximately zero. I understand why this should be so (as it is a static equilibrium), however I do not not know how to achieve that answer, or what I am doing wrong. I do not believe that 0.34 N is a relatively close answer.

These angles were calculating in a lab, so is it possible that I have done everything right and simply measured the angles wrong?

I understand some of the values are to be negative, but I am unaware of which (I think it is gravity?). My teacher is no help, so I would really appreciate someone explaining how to fix this. Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted