Calculating Tension in Cables: 1000N Beam with 2000N Filing Cabinet

  • Thread starter Thread starter astru025
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cables Tension
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
astru025
Messages
163
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 1000N beam is loaded with a 2000N filing cabinet and supported by two cables. If the beam is 8 meters long and the filing cabinet is 2 meters from the left cable, what is the tension force in each cable?

Homework Equations



T= F /d

The Attempt at a Solution


For the left cable I tried T= 2000 N / 2 m. This answer was incorrect though.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I wasn't sure what point to take moments about... So I didn't take my moments about any certain point. What point should I use? And also I'm not very familiar with the point subject... It is no where in my notes/ or book.
 
Could you elaborate on the question more or is that just given? Plus could you show what you tired to do along with what was said at the back of the book?

edit: Also any angles given or the dimenssion of the cabinent in question?
 
Last edited:
astru025 said:
... So I didn't take my moments about any certain point.

ahhh … that explains it! :biggrin:

ok, take moments (of all forces) about the right-hand end of the beam

show us what you get :smile:​

(we'll discuss why to choose that point when you've done it)