Calculating the Component of the weight that acts along a line

In summary, the cyclist's weight can be resolved into two components, one parallel to the incline and one perpendicular. Using the equation F = W * sin(θ) = W * 1.0/15, where θ is the angle of the incline and W is the weight, we can calculate the component of the weight that acts along the incline. This gives us a value of 46N, which is the answer to the question. It is important to begin such problems with a diagram to better understand the situation.
JudgeA

Homework Statement

A cyclist rides along a road up an incline at a steady speed of 9.0 m s–1. The mass of the rider and bicycle is 70kg and the bicycle travels 15 m along the road for every 1.0 m gained in height. Neglect energy loss due to frictional forces.

Calculate the component of the weight of the bicycle and the rider that acts along the incline.

2. Homework Equations

sinθ=opp/hyp, not sure what else I need to use

The Attempt at a Solution

Apparently the answer is 46N but I'm really not sure how to get to that. I found an angle of 3.8 degrees by doing 1.0/15 but I'm not sure where to go from there. The Mark scheme says F=sinθ=Wx1.0/15 I don't quite understand what it's saying.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Try drawing a diagram showing the weight vector. Then resolve the weight vector into two components, one parallel with the incline and one perpendicular to the incline.

JudgeA said:
The Mark scheme says F=sinθ=Wx1.0/15 I don't quite understand what it's saying.

I think that's wrong. It should say..

F = W * sin(θ) = W * 1.0/15

Likes Carol Sanders
CWatters said:
Try drawing a diagram showing the weight vector. Then resolve the weight vector into two components, one parallel with the incline and one perpendicular to the incline.

Yeah I did try that but ended up with 4.6 not 46. I did Sin3.8*70 and got 4.6 so I'm not sure if my angle is wrong?

CWatters said:
I think that's wrong. It should say..

F = W * sin(θ) = W * 1.0/15
Ah ok thanks

I think every incline problem should start with a sketch, something like the attached file. 3.8 degrees is correct and you found that by knowing the sine of the angle is the sin = opp/hyp = 1.0/15. Referring to the attached pic, if you know W, (the hypotenuse) how do you calculate the opposite side (assuming phi is the angle) of the triangle?

Attachments

• Bike.PNG
    Bike.PNG
    2.7 KB · Views: 517
Vector1962 said:
I think every incline problem should start with a sketch, something like the attached file. 3.8 degrees is correct and you found that by knowing the sine of the angle is the sin = opp/hyp = 1.0/15. Referring to the attached pic, if you know W, (the hypotenuse) how do you calculate the opposite side (assuming phi is the angle) of the triangle?
Vector1962 said:
I assume you'd do Sin3.8*70 as in Opp=Sinθ*hyp however that left me with the answer 4.6 not 46.
(thanks for helping btw)

JudgeA said:
I assume you'd do Sin3.8*70 as in Opp=Sinθ*hyp however that left me with the answer 4.6 not 46.
(thanks for helping btw)
What does the force, W equal in terms of the mass, m? W=m x _____

JudgeA said:
I assume you'd do Sin3.8*70 as in Opp=Sinθ*hyp however that left me with the answer 4.6 not 46
Vector1962 said:
What does the force, W equal in terms of the mass, m? W=m x _____
Oh of course mass doesn't taken into account gravity, I understand now. Thank you!

Likes CWatters

1. What is the formula for calculating the component of weight along a line?

The formula is F = m * g * sin(theta), where F is the component of weight, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity (usually 9.8 m/s^2), and theta is the angle between the line and the direction of gravity.

2. How do you determine the direction of the component of weight along a line?

The direction of the component of weight is always perpendicular to the line and towards the center of the earth.

3. Can the component of weight along a line be negative?

Yes, the component of weight can be negative if the line is at an angle greater than 90 degrees from the direction of gravity. This indicates that the weight is acting in the opposite direction of the line.

4. How is the component of weight along a line different from the total weight?

The component of weight along a line is only a portion of the total weight of an object. It is the amount of weight that is acting directly along a specific line, while the total weight is the force of gravity acting on the entire object.

5. What is the significance of calculating the component of weight along a line?

Calculating the component of weight along a line is important in physics and engineering because it allows us to analyze the forces acting on an object and determine how they will affect its motion. It also helps us understand how different angles can impact the distribution of weight on an object.