Calculating the Deceleration of a Car in an Emergency Stop

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kujanator
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Car Deceleration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 6K views
Kujanator
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The braking distance is the distance the car travels while decelerating once the brakes have been applied. A car of mass 450kg is traveling at a speed of 70MPH (31.3ms-1) when the driver makes an emergency stop.
Calculate the deceleration of the car (Assume a uniform deceleration)

We're also told that at 70mph/31.3ms-1 that the breaking distance is 75 m.


The Attempt at a Solution


I did initially try to do this using the equations of motion but that gave me a huge answer, and didn't take into account the mass of the car so I didn't think it was right.

Any help is hugely appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You should show your attempt, even if it has an error or two. That way we will know how to help.
 
gneill said:
You should show your attempt, even if it has an error or two. That way we will know how to help.

Ok, this is what I did.

S=75
U=31.3
V=0
A=?
T=?

s=u²+2as
0=31.3²+2*a*75
0=979.69+150a
-979.69/150=a
a=-6.53 ms-2

Which looking back doesn't look too bad, when I did it first time I think I accidentally must have typed the wrong numbers into my calculator because I got -1000ms-2. I'm just thinking I did it wrong because I didn't use the mass.
 
Kujanator said:
Ok, this is what I did.

S=75
U=31.3
V=0
A=?
T=?

s=u²+2as
0=31.3²+2*a*75
0=979.69+150a
-979.69/150=a
a=-6.53 ms-2

Looks good.

One small nit though, in your first equation you put "s" on the left where you meant to put "V2". Clearly a typo, since you correctly substituted the value of V2 in your next line. So overall, well done.
 
There's just one other part:
The car is then filled with passengers so that its mass is doubled. Calculate its stopping distance when traveling at 70MPH. Assume the force calculated in b(ii) remains constant.

I calculated the force as:
F=ma
F=450*6.53= 2938.5N

How do I go about doing this is it:

2938.5 = 900 * a
2938.5/900 = 3.625

So:
v²=u²+2as
0=31.3²+2*3.625*s
-979.69/7.25=s
s=135 metres.

Thanks again!
 
Check your value for the new acceleration. Looks like a finger problem. Otherwise you're method works okay.

You could skip the force calculation if you realize that since F = MA, then A = F/M. Therefore if you double M you must halve A.