Calculating the Effect of an Electrical Short or Open on a Series Circuit

In summary, when solving for variables in a series circuit, it is important to keep in mind that in the event of a short, the total voltage remains the same but the current is altered. In the event of an open circuit, the total voltage remains the same and the current becomes zero, with all individual voltages except for the resistor that has opened also becoming zero. It is also important to remember that the current will always take the path of least resistance and that resistors cannot create a short circuit, as they always have some amount of resistance.
mjcino

Homework Statement

I have several problems in which I am to solve for all variables in a series circuit. Then I am given a follow-up question in which a resistor, or multiple resistors, short out or open. I am then required to calculate the variables in the altered circuit.

Homework Equations

(Theory question-equations not directly relevant)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure of the exact effect, and I have a feeling that my assumptions are incorrect. Please guide me here, let me know if I'm doing it right.

In the event of a short, I think that the total voltage stays the same and the current is altered.

In the event of an open circuit (at a specific resistor), I think that the total voltage stays the same, the current becomes zero, and all individual voltages except for the resistor which has opened become zero. That is to say, voltage read across R1 and R2 are zero if R3 opens.

How am I doing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that sounds OK.

Resistors that are not carrying current do not have any voltage across them so any voltage from a power source continues unchanged until it meets the open circuit.

At the open circuit, you would measure the full supply voltage. The other resistors would not have any voltage across them.

In addittion to what was said I would add a couple of comments that might not answer your question directly but are useful to know when analyzing these problems.

1. Remember that the current always takes the path of the LEAST resistance.
2. Resistors cannot short a circuit because there will always be a voltage drop across them. You need some sort of wire to create a short circuit. (An element that has resistance of approximately 0 Ohms)

1. How do you calculate the effect of an electrical short or open on a series circuit?

To calculate the effect of an electrical short or open on a series circuit, you will need to use Ohm's Law. This law states that the current (I) in a circuit is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). Therefore, to calculate the effect of a short or open, you will need to determine the change in voltage or resistance in the circuit.

2. What is an electrical short in a series circuit?

An electrical short in a series circuit occurs when there is a low resistance path created between two points in the circuit that are supposed to have a higher resistance. This results in a large amount of current flowing through the circuit, which can cause damage to the components and potentially lead to a fire.

3. What is an electrical open in a series circuit?

An electrical open in a series circuit occurs when there is a break in the circuit, creating a gap where current cannot flow. This can be caused by a disconnected wire, a blown fuse, or a faulty component. An open circuit will result in no current flowing and no voltage drop across the open section.

4. How does an electrical short or open affect the current in a series circuit?

An electrical short will cause an increase in current, as the low resistance path allows for a larger flow of electrical current. On the other hand, an open circuit will result in no current flowing at all. This is because the break in the circuit prevents the flow of electricity.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when dealing with an electrical short or open in a series circuit?

Dealing with electrical shorts and opens can be dangerous, so it is important to take proper safety precautions. Always make sure the power is turned off before working on the circuit, and use insulated tools to avoid electric shock. It is also important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when working with electricity. If you are unsure of how to safely handle the issue, it is best to seek the help of a professional electrician.