1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transient Response RC series circuit

1. Sep 24, 2013 #1
    Hi, I have been given a question which involves analysis of a series RC circuit. The system in question has a 4Ω resistor in series with a 1000μF Capacitor (the capacitor is to be considered as completely uncharged before t=0). There is a 12V supply in the circuit. At t=0, a switch is closed to complete the circuit. I have been asked to calculate the following and was wondering if someone could confirm whether or not my answers are correct;

i. - initial (t=0) current in the circuit.
    ii.- initial voltage across the capacitor
    iii- final voltage in the capacitor
    iv- time constant of the circuit
    v - current in the circuit at 6ms
    vi - final energy stored in the capacitor

Answers

i. initial (t=0) current in circuit = V/R = 12/4 = 3.0A

ii. Initial voltage across the capacitor = 0V (as Capacitor is uncharged before switch is closed at t=0)

iii. final voltage in capacitor = V = 12V.

iv time constant of the circuit = ζ = CR = 1000 x 10-6 * 4 = 4mS or 0.004S

v. current in circuit at t=6ms = i(t) = Ioe(-t/ζ)
    this = 3.0e-(0.006/0.004) = 0.67A

vi - final energy stored in capacitor = E = (CV2/2) = (1000x10-6 * 122)/2 = 0.072J

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2013 #2
    Your answer looks good. Only kept in mind that capital "S" is reserved for Siemens, electric conductance 1/Ω. For "time" use small "s".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted