Second order series circuit initial voltage

In summary: simple as it seems,i thought that the potential drop across the 1.5ohm and capacitor would total -6volts, but infact the drop across the capacitor is the total drop across the branch,i didn't think bout it like that hehe
stef6987

Homework Statement

How to find the initial capacitor voltage if the capacitor is in series with a 1.5 ohm resistor, these 2 are in parallel with a reversed polarity 6v DC source, (reversed polarity - the negative terminal is pointing up) i assume the voltage across the resistor and capacitor should be -6 volts because of the polarity of the source, the switch is opened at t = 0 nd the 6volt source is disconnected leaving a second order series circuit with another 12v source, another 6ohm resistor and 1.25H inductor (these 3 are in series with the 6v source at t<0 due to the open circuiting circuiting of the capacitor no current goes through the 1.5ohm and capacitor) when t<0 i could find the initial current from simple kvl: -6 - 12 + 6i = 0 ( the inductor is short circuited) hence i(0-) = i(0+) = 3 amps. for t>0 we hve the series second order circuit. check my solutions to see if I am correct.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i(0+) = 3amps, if I am right the voltage across the 1.5 ohm resistor and capacitor is -6 volts or 6volts? we can find the voltage over the resistor using V=ir = 3*1.5=4.5 volts and subtract this from the -6 or 6 volts? and that would be the initial capacitor voltage, am i correct? thankyou

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not "getting" your description of the circuit layout. Would it be possible to post a diagram?

I'll have to get 10 posts first! haha but i will do that ASAP. sorry for the bad explanation

ok here we go, here's the circuit, i need to find the initial capacitor voltage.
VfhID.png

i found i(0-) to be 3Amps (correct me if I am wrong) so when the switch is opened we have a second order RLC circuit, but I'm not sure how to find the initial capacitor voltage, can we say the voltage across the 1.5ohm resistor and capacitor is -6 ohms?

stef6987 said:
ok here we go, here's the circuit, i need to find the initial capacitor voltage.
VfhID.png

i found i(0-) to be 3Amps (correct me if I am wrong) so when the switch is opened we have a second order RLC circuit, but I'm not sure how to find the initial capacitor voltage, can we say the voltage across the 1.5ohm resistor and capacitor is -6 ohms?

No, but you can say that it's -6 Volts :smile: :smile:

When the capacitor potential is -6V then there will be no current through its series resistor because the potential at both of its ends will be the same. That is, the branch is in equilibrium when the capacitor potential matches that of the potential applied across the branch.

gneill said:
No, but you can say that it's -6 Volts :smile: :smile:

When the capacitor potential is -6V then there will be no current through its series resistor because the potential at both of its ends will be the same. That is, the branch is in equilibrium when the capacitor potential matches that of the potential applied across the branch.

so you saying that Vc(0-) = -6V? Is this beacuse their is no current flowing through the 1.5ohm resistor, and at t<0 the capacitor is open circuited, so the initial voltage at the capacitor must be -6 which is equal to the branch with the switch? my tutor today said it was 0 volts :\ but to be quite honest i don't think he had a great idea haha.

stef6987 said:
so you saying that Vc(0-) = -6V? Is this beacuse their is no current flowing through the 1.5ohm resistor, and at t<0 the capacitor is open circuited, so the initial voltage at the capacitor must be -6 which is equal to the branch with the switch? my tutor today said it was 0 volts :\ but to be quite honest i don't think he had a great idea haha.

Yes. If the switch is closed (for a long time) before t = 0, then the capacitor must be charged to the potential across its branch.

gneill said:
Yes. If the switch is closed (for a long time) before t = 0, then the capacitor must be charged to the potential across its branch.

thanks alot! simple as it seems, i thought that the potential drop across the 1.5ohm and capacitor would total -6volts, but infact the drop across the capacitor is the total drop across the branch, i didn't think bout it like that hehe thanks alot!

1) What is a second order series circuit initial voltage?

A second order series circuit initial voltage refers to the voltage that is present at the start of a circuit with two energy storing elements connected in series, such as a resistor and a capacitor. This voltage is typically determined by the initial conditions of the circuit, such as the charge on the capacitor or the current through the inductor.

2) What is the difference between a first order and a second order series circuit?

In a first order series circuit, there is only one energy storing element (such as a resistor or a capacitor) whereas in a second order series circuit, there are two energy storing elements. This results in a more complex circuit behavior and additional equations to describe the circuit's behavior.

3) How do you calculate the initial voltage in a second order series circuit?

The initial voltage in a second order series circuit can be calculated by using the initial conditions of the circuit, such as the charge on the capacitor or the current through the inductor, and applying Kirchhoff's voltage law to the circuit to determine the voltage at the start of the circuit.

4) Why is the initial voltage important in a second order series circuit?

The initial voltage in a second order series circuit is important because it determines the behavior of the circuit at the start. This initial voltage, along with the other initial conditions, can affect the transient response of the circuit and can impact the overall performance of the circuit.

5) What are some real-world applications of second order series circuits?

Second order series circuits are commonly used in electronic devices, such as amplifiers and filters, to control the behavior of the circuit. They are also used in power systems, such as in power factor correction circuits, to improve the efficiency of the system. Additionally, second order series circuits are used in sensors and control systems to monitor and regulate physical quantities.