Calculating the envelope of a sliding line

It happens to all of us.In summary, the conversation discusses finding a function that describes the envelope of lines going from a point on the +y axis to a point on the +x axis with the length of L. After some discussion and calculations, the function y(x) = (L^{2/3}-x^{2/3})^{3/2} is proposed as the solution. However, there is some confusion about the algebra and a mistake is discovered, leading to a correction in the solution.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
I read this question a few days ago:
Lets say that you have a line that goes from a point on the +y axis to a point on the +x axis with the length of L. There's an infinate amount of such lines, starting with a line that goes from (0,0) to (0,L) and ending with one that goes form (0,0) to (L,0). Now the question is, what function describes the envelope of all of those lines?
I got:
y(x) = sqrt(L^2 - (L^2 * x)^2/3)x / (L^2 * x)^1/3 + sqrt(L^2 - (L^2 * x)^2/3)
Can anyone verify that?
Thanks.
EDIT: i changed the equation a little

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
what do you mean by "envelope" of lines?

@murshid_islam:
I think he means the following:
Imagine the positive x- and y-axis and a line of length L. Now you
let the line (or the bar) "slide" with the condition that one end of the line touches the y-axis and the other end the x-axis.

I get

[tex]f(x) = \left( 1- \frac{L}{\sqrt{Lx}} \right) \cdot x + L - \sqrt{Lx} [/tex]

[tex] = \left( \sqrt{x}-\sqrt{L} \right)^2[/tex]

Last edited:
Edgaro: yes that's what i meant.
(notice that I've changed the equation a little)
How did you derive that?
For my answer a first made a function that described a line based on a point on the x-axis (i called it a) so i got a function f(x,a) where 'a' is the point on the x-axis that the line goes through and x is the height of the line on at position x on the x-axis. i got:
f(x,a) = sqrt(L^2 - a^2)(x/-a + 1)

then i took the partial derivative with respect to 'a' to find what 'a' gives the maximum value for a certain 'x'. i got:
df(x,a)/da = x[1/c - c/a^2] - a/c
were c = sqrt(L^2 - a^2)
equating that to 0 gave me:
a = (L^2 * x)^1/3.
inserting that into f(x,a) gave me my answer.
where did i go wrong?
Thanks.

where did i go wrong?
In the algebra I guess, your technique looks sound enough but your final answer definitely looks wrong.

BTW is that square-root meant to be added onto the end of your equation (as written) or is it meant to be part of the denominator. It would be a lot easier to read if you used latex for other than very simple equations.

I cheated and did the simplified case of L=1 and got the solution,

[tex]y(x) = (1-x^{2/3})^{3/2}[/tex]

I haven't verified this but I'm pretty sure the general case will be,

[tex]y(x) = (L^{2/3}-x^{2/3})^{3/2}[/tex]

Last edited:
Hello Daniel,

I made a mistake, sorry. Instead of using the condition L^2=n^2+a^2 I used L=n+a. I calculated again and got the same result for a as you.

So here's the full solution (which I hope is correct this time):1) Which equation describes the lines as a function of a?
(a is the value for which the line touches the x-axis)

Equation for a line:
[tex]y=m \cdot x +n[/tex]

Which condition does the line fulfill?
[tex]L^2=n^2+a^2[/tex]
=> [tex]n = \sqrt{L^2-n^2} [/tex]
(n>0)

m as a function of a:
[tex]m= \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}= \frac{n}{-a}= - \frac{\sqrt{L^2-a^2}}{a}[/tex]

n as a function of a:
[tex]n = \sqrt{L^2-a^2}[/tex]

Inserting m and n into y yields:
[tex]y = - \left( \frac{\sqrt{L^2-a^2}}{a} \right) \cdot x + \sqrt{L^2-a^2} [/tex]
[tex] = \sqrt{L^2-a^2} \left( - \frac{1}{a} \cdot x + 1 \right)[/tex]

Lets call the functions f(x,a)=y:
[tex] f(x,a)= \sqrt{L^2-a^2} \left( - \frac{1}{a} \cdot x + 1 \right) [/tex]

f(x,a) describes the lines.2) Which equation describes the envelope?

[tex] g(x) = \max_{a \in (0,L)} {f(x,a)} [/tex]

(Note: I excluded a=0 and a=L since for these values we know that
g(0)=L and g(L)=0 and to avoid division by zero in the calculations.)

Determine a such that f(x,a) is maximized:
Deriving f(a,x) with respect to a, setting derivative of f(a,x) equal to zero
and solve for a yields:

[tex] a= (L^2 x)^{1/3} [/tex]
(a>0)3) Plug the value for a into f(x,a) yields:

[tex] g(x) = \sqrt{L^2-(L^2 x)^{2/3}} \left( 1- \frac{x}{(L^2 x)^{1/3}} \right) [/tex]

Last edited:
Note:

[tex]g(x) = \sqrt{L^2-(L^2 x)^{2/3}} \left( 1- \frac{x^{2/3}}{L^{2/3}} \right)[/tex]

allows plugging in x=0.

Edgardo said:
Note:

[tex]g(x) = \sqrt{L^2-(L^2 x)^{2/3}} \left( 1- \frac{x^{2/3}}{L^{2/3}} \right)[/tex]

Which if you simplify gives gives

[tex]g(x) = L \sqrt{1- \left( \frac{x}{L} \right)^{2/3}} \, \left(1- (\frac{x}{L})^{2/3} \right)[/tex]

[tex]g(x) = L \left( 1 - \left(\frac{x}{L} \right)^{2/3} \right)^{3/2}[/tex]

[tex]g(x) = (L^{2/3} - x^{2/3})^{3/2} [/tex]

Exactly as I stated several days ago.

Last edited:
Edgardo said:
Hello Daniel,

I made a mistake, sorry. Instead of using the condition L^2=n^2+a^2 I used L=n+a. I calculated again and got the same result for a as you.

Well considering that the solution that daniel_i_l proposed was,
daniel_i_l said:
I got:
y(x) = sqrt(L^2 - (L^2 * x)^2/3)x / (L^2 * x)^1/3 + sqrt(L^2 - (L^2 * x)^2/3)

Which as best as I can make out means,

[tex]y(x) = \frac {x \sqrt{L^2 - (L^2 x)^{2/3}}} {(L^2 x)^{1/3}} + \sqrt{L^2 - (L^2 x)^{2/3}} [/tex]

Edgardo, just how do you justify that they are the same?

EDIT Ok I see now, you're only claiming that you got the same value for a as Daniel, not the same final result. Like I said before, he seemed to be doing everything correctly but obviously made a mistake somewhere in the algebra.

Last edited:

What is the envelope of a sliding line?

The envelope of a sliding line is the curve that is formed by the collection of tangents of the line as it moves along a fixed curve.

How do you calculate the envelope of a sliding line?

To calculate the envelope of a sliding line, you can use the following steps:
1. Determine the equation of the sliding line
2. Find the slope of the sliding line at different points on the fixed curve
3. Substitute the slope values into the equation of the sliding line
4. Simplify the resulting equation to obtain the envelope curve

Why is calculating the envelope of a sliding line important?

Calculating the envelope of a sliding line is important because it allows us to understand the relationship between the sliding line and the fixed curve. It also helps us to find the maximum or minimum values of a function, which can be useful in various real-world applications such as optimization problems.

Can the envelope of a sliding line be a straight line?

Yes, the envelope of a sliding line can be a straight line. This occurs when the sliding line is always tangent to the fixed curve at a constant distance. In this case, the envelope is the same as the sliding line itself.

What are some real-world applications of calculating the envelope of a sliding line?

The concept of the envelope of a sliding line can be applied in various fields, such as engineering, architecture, and physics. It can be used to design optimal paths for objects to move along, to determine the maximum or minimum values of a function, and to predict the behavior of moving objects in different scenarios.