Calculating the expected value of the square of an integral of Brownian Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the expected value of a standard one-dimensional Brownian motion over a certain time interval. The middle term is simplified using the Ito Isometry formula, where T represents the upper limit of integration. The solution can be found online and the use of brackets for the expectations operator may vary.
JohanL
For a standard one-dimensional Brownian motion W(t), calculate:

$$E\bigg[\Big(\frac{1}{T}\int\limits_0^TW_t\, dt\Big)^2\bigg]$$I can't figure out how the middle term simplifies.

$$
\mathsf E\left(\int_0^T W_t\mathrm dt\right)^2 = \mathsf E\left[T^2W_T^2\right] - 2T\mathsf E\left[W_T\int_0^T t\mathrm dW_t\right]+\mathsf E\left(\int_0^T t\mathrm dW_t\right)^2
$$
$$
= T^3- 2T\int_0^Tt\mathrm dt+\int_0^Tt^2\mathrm dt
$$

i.e. why is

$$
\mathsf 2T\mathsf E\left[W_T\int_0^T t\mathrm dW_t\right]
= 2T\int_0^Tt\mathrm dt
$$
?

Physics news on Phys.org
will you tell us what ##T## is? The standard usage of a capital letter ##T## would be for a stopping time (i.e. a random variable), but this seems to contradict other equations... you also haven't consistently used brackets for the expectations operator, which makes this not so easy to read.

StoneTemplePython said:
will you tell us what ##T## is? The standard usage of a capital letter ##T## would be for a stopping time (i.e. a random variable), but this seems to contradict other equations.

I found the exercise and solution online. They don't say anything about T.

Im guessing its just the upper limit of integration and not a stopping time if you say it contradicts the other equations.

StoneTemplePython said:
you also haven't consistently used brackets for the expectations operator, which makes this not so easy to read.

Sorry about that. Seems like i can't edit now?

Last edited:
Last edited:

1. What is Brownian Motion?

Brownian Motion is a mathematical model used to describe the random movement of particles in a fluid or gas. It was first observed by Robert Brown in 1827 and has since been used in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and finance.

2. How is the expected value of the square of an integral of Brownian Motion calculated?

The expected value of the square of an integral of Brownian Motion is calculated by taking the integral of Brownian Motion over a specific time interval and then squaring the result. This is then multiplied by the probability density function of Brownian Motion and integrated over all possible values of the integral. The final result is the expected value of the square of the integral.

3. What is the significance of calculating the expected value of the square of an integral of Brownian Motion?

Calculating the expected value of the square of an integral of Brownian Motion is important in understanding the behavior of random processes, such as stock prices or particle movement. It allows scientists to make predictions and analyze the likelihood of certain outcomes.

4. Can the expected value of the square of an integral of Brownian Motion be negative?

Yes, the expected value of the square of an integral of Brownian Motion can be negative. This indicates that the integral of Brownian Motion is more likely to be below its expected value than above it.

5. What factors can affect the expected value of the square of an integral of Brownian Motion?

The expected value of the square of an integral of Brownian Motion can be affected by the time interval over which the integral is taken, the volatility of the Brownian Motion, and the probability density function used in the calculation. It can also be influenced by external factors, such as changes in market conditions or the presence of other random processes.