Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the filter capacitor for a power supply

1. Feb 15, 2017 #1
    Trying to build a simple 9V power supply using a 7809 voltage regulator and full wave rectifier. The load current from the regulator is 1A. So I = C*dv/dt, therefore,

C = I*t/(delta V)

uitiQ.gif

To my understanding t is the time between the two peaks or the time the capacitor supplies the load. So if t is reduced, shouldn't the ripple increase ?, so isn't ripple (delta V) dependent on t ?, if so then why is delta V just arbitrarily chosen without considering t ?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2017 #2

Merlin3189

Gold Member

1, t is fixed if you are using mains power - at roughly 0.01sec.
    2, ripple would increase with t, if you were using a variable frequency supply.
    This should be clear from the graph. If the peaks are further apart, the output drops more between peaks.
    3, I don't think delta V is arbitrarily chosen. It comes from the permissible ripple. You know delta t, from mains frequency, and I from your spec. Then you calculate C.
    Permissible ripple may come from the difference between, the lowest operating voltage of your regulator and the peak value your capacitor charges to.

4. Feb 15, 2017 #3

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

look at your graph
    solve for dv
    dv = I/C X dt , therefore
    increasing Δt increases Δv

you knew that, just you were in a hurry. Think in small patient steps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted