Calculating the final speed w/ work & friction

In summary, the problem is asking for the final speed of a 1100 kg car traveling at 24 m/s through 18m of mud, where the resistive force on the car is 17000 N. To solve this problem, the equations for work and kinetic energy can be used. By setting the initial kinetic energy equal to the final kinetic energy minus the work done by friction, the final velocity can be calculated. This problem falls under kinetics, which concerns masses and forces, rather than kinematics, which deals with the geometry of motion.
Caleb S
Member warned that the homework template is required
The problem is asking me to find the final speed of a 1100 kg car traveling at 24 m/s through 18m of mud, where the resistive force on the car is 17000 N.

I don't actually know how to go about doing this, so any pointers in the right direction would be super helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Caleb S said:
The problem is asking me to find the final speed of a 1100 kg car traveling at 24 m/s through 18m of mud, where the resistive force on the car is 17000 N.

I don't actually know how to go about doing this, so any pointers in the right direction would be super helpful.
Please use the template and include any standard equations you may have been taught that appear relevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
haruspex said:
Please use the template and include any standard equations you may have been taught that appear relevant.
There's no template included.

Equations that I think might be helpful:
Work = m*a*x
Kinetic Energy = .5*m*v^2
Kinematics equations

Caleb S said:
There's no template included.
See item 2 at https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/guidelines-for-students-and-helpers.686781/
Caleb S said:
Kinematics equations
You mean kinetics. Kinematics is something else.
Yes, kinetics equations can be used here but your other suggestions are better:
Caleb S said:
Work = m*a*x
Kinetic Energy = .5*m*v^2
Right. So what can you say about the change in KE in passing through the mud?

(There is no template for the problem. It is given to me in a text form.)

The kinetic energy decreases as the vehicle passes through the mud due to the lowering of the velocity...

I know how to calculate the kinetic energy of the vehicle before it enters the mud. I just don't see how the resistive force of friction relates to the final velocity.

Caleb S said:
There is no template for the problem. It is given to me in a text form.
There is a standard template provided by this forum for posting homework questions. My understanding is that it appears automatically when you create a thread, which implies you deleted it.
Caleb S said:
I just don't see how the resistive force of friction relates to the final velocity.
One of the equations you posted in post #4 expresses work done in terms of a force and a distance.

Oh wait I just realized that there is an equation for the work done by friction: W = -F*d

Caleb S said:
Oh wait I just realized that there is an equation for the work done by friction: W = -F*d
Right - that is an example of the m.a.x equation you posted earlier, since F=m.a.
So can you connect that with the KE?

Likes scottdave
I think so... it would be something along the lines of KE - Wf = KEnet, correct?

Caleb S said:
I think so... it would be something along the lines of KE - Wf = KEnet, correct?
And from there you could calculate the final velocity by running it back through the kinetic energy formula, right?

haruspex said:
You mean kinetics. Kinematics is something else.
Kinematics is correct. See this wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinematics
From the linked article:
Kinematics is a branch of classical mechanics that describes the motion of points, bodies (objects), and systems of bodies (groups of objects) without considering the forces that caused the motion.

Mark44 said:
Kinematics is correct. See this wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinematics
From the linked article:
That's why this problem is kinetics (it concerns masses and forces), not kinematics.
As that article goes on to explain, kinematics can be thought of as the geometry of motion. E.g. if you have a linkage or system of pulleys, it is the system of equations that relate the relative positions of its parts as the system changes shape (and consequently, relates their velocities and accelerations).

Caleb S said:
Yes.

haruspex said:
That's why this problem is kinetics (it concerns masses and forces), not kinematics.
I stand corrected.

1. What is the equation for calculating final speed with work and friction?

The equation for calculating final speed with work and friction is v = √(2μmgd + v02), where μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, d is the distance traveled, and v0 is the initial velocity.

2. How does friction affect the final speed of an object?

Friction acts as a resistive force, meaning it opposes the motion of an object. As a result, it reduces the final speed of an object by dissipating some of the energy that is being used to do work on the object.

3. Can the final speed of an object be greater than its initial speed?

Yes, it is possible for the final speed of an object to be greater than its initial speed if the object is being pushed or pulled by a force that is greater than the force of friction acting on it. In this case, the work done by the external force will be greater than the work done by friction, resulting in an increase in speed.

4. What is the role of work in calculating final speed with friction?

Work is a measure of the energy transferred to an object to make it move. In the equation for calculating final speed with friction, the term 2μmgd represents the work done by friction on the object. This work is then subtracted from the initial kinetic energy (v02) to determine the final speed of the object.

5. How does the coefficient of friction affect the final speed of an object?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces. A higher coefficient of friction means that there is more resistance to motion, resulting in a lower final speed. Conversely, a lower coefficient of friction means there is less resistance to motion, resulting in a higher final speed.