Calculating the integral of x^n e^(2x) from 0 to 1

  • Thread starter Thread starter ultima9999
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
ultima9999
Messages
43
Reaction score
0
Hey, I got a couple of problems on integration that I can't seem to figure out.

1. Suppose [tex]I_n = \int_{0}^{1} x^n e^{2x} dx[/tex] Evaluate [tex]I_n[/tex] in terms of [tex]I_{n-1}[/tex] for any natural number n


2. Suppose [tex]I_n = \int_{1}^{e} \left[\ln x\right]^n dx[/tex] Evaluate [tex]I_n[/tex] in terms of [tex]I_{n-1}[/tex] for any natural number n

Not sure what to do with these. Do I need to integrate [tex]I_{n-1}[/tex]? What do I put into [tex]I_n[/tex] after I integrate [tex]I_{n-1}[/tex]??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
With

[tex]I_n = \int_{0}^{1} x^n e^{2x} dx[/tex]

then

[tex]I_{n-1} = \int_{0}^{1} x^{n-1} e^{2x} dx[/tex]

Use integration by parts to get a relation between I_n and I_n-1.
 
Yup, I did that and I got [tex]I_n = \frac{1}{2}x^ne^{2x} - \frac{n}{2}I_{n-1}[/tex]

For the second question, I let u = ln x, but what would I let dv/dx equal to?
 
It's a bit unclear to me what you mean with dv/dx, but do you mean identifying the factors for integration by parts?

Remember that one can integrate ln(x)dx by looking at it as ln(x).1dx and taking u = ln(x) and v = 1, dv = dx.