1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the integral of x^n e^(2x) from 0 to 1

1. Aug 25, 2006 #1
    Hey, I got a couple of problems on integration that I can't seem to figure out.

1. Suppose [tex]I_n = \int_{0}^{1} x^n e^{2x} dx[/tex] Evaluate [tex]I_n[/tex] in terms of [tex]I_{n-1}[/tex] for any natural number n

2. Suppose [tex]I_n = \int_{1}^{e} \left[\ln x\right]^n dx[/tex] Evaluate [tex]I_n[/tex] in terms of [tex]I_{n-1}[/tex] for any natural number n

Not sure what to do with these. Do I need to integrate [tex]I_{n-1}[/tex]? What do I put into [tex]I_n[/tex] after I integrate [tex]I_{n-1}[/tex]??

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2006 #2

TD

Homework Helper

With

[tex]I_n = \int_{0}^{1} x^n e^{2x} dx[/tex]

then

[tex]I_{n-1} = \int_{0}^{1} x^{n-1} e^{2x} dx[/tex]

Use integration by parts to get a relation between I_n and I_n-1.

4. Aug 25, 2006 #3
    Yup, I did that and I got [tex]I_n = \frac{1}{2}x^ne^{2x} - \frac{n}{2}I_{n-1}[/tex]

For the second question, I let u = ln x, but what would I let dv/dx equal to?

5. Aug 25, 2006 #4

TD

Homework Helper

It's a bit unclear to me what you mean with dv/dx, but do you mean identifying the factors for integration by parts?

Remember that one can integrate ln(x)dx by looking at it as ln(x).1dx and taking u = ln(x) and v = 1, dv = dx.

6. Aug 25, 2006 #5
    Yup! [tex]I_n = x[\ln x]^n - nI_{n-1}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook