Calculating the Inverse of AB: A^(-1)=[4,0;-2,2], B^(-1)=[-2,0;-2,3]

  • Thread starter Thread starter 1question
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inverse
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 14K views
1question
Messages
66
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the inverse of AB if A^(-1)= [4,0;-2,2] and B^(-1)=[-2,0;-2,3]. (See below for picture/additional information.)

Homework Equations



Inverse of AB = inverse of A*inverse of B

The Attempt at a Solution



Using above equation:

(AB)^(-1) = [4,0;-2,2]*[-2,0;-2,3] = [-8,0;0,6]

I don't understand why this is wrong. I calculated it by hand, and then used two different online matrix calculators when I was told it was wrong. The calculators agree with me. Am I entering it incorrectly? Here is a picture of the "full" question: http://imgur.com/foTsK2e.
Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Inverse of AB = inverse of B*inverse of A
Matrix multiplication does not commute!
 
h.krish360 said:
Inverse of AB = inverse of B*inverse of A
Matrix multiplication does not commute!

Um, what does commute mean in this context?

EDIT: Looked it up, and I don't understand why you say that. So what if BA doesn't work (haven't even tested it - don't see how it is applicable).
 
Last edited:
If you do the math to find A and B:

A = (A-1) -1

B = (B-1) -1

then multiply A and B, then take the inverse

(AB)-1

You'll find it's the same as (B-1) (A-1) and not the other way around. This is because matrix multiplicaion is associative, but not commutative (the next post has a link showing the math).
 
Last edited:
rcgldr said:
If you do the math to find A and B:

A = (A-1) -1

B = (B-1) -1

then multiply A and B, then take the inverse

(AB)-1

You'll find it's the same as (B-1) (A-1) and not the other way around. This is because matrix multiplicaion is associative, but not commutative (the next post has a link showing the math).

So the inverse of AB should be B^(-1)*A^(-1)? Tried it: got the question right.

Thank you.

EDIT: My textbook got it right, I just didn't pay attention. Whoops...
 
Last edited: