1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the magnetic field

1. Oct 30, 2009 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A current whose density is [tex]\vec J[/tex] circulate through a conductor lattice infinitely long but with a depth [tex]a[/tex]. The current circulate in a direction which is parallel to the direction in which the lattice is infinitely long.
    1)Calculate the magnetic field [tex]\vec B[/tex] in a point [tex]P[/tex] situated at a distance [tex]d[/tex] from the center of the lattice.

2. Relevant equations
    Ampère's law I guess.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I had a hard time understanding the situation, but I finally think I got it.
    However here come my problems. [tex]\oint \vec B d \vec l = \mu _0 I = \mu _0 \int _S \vec J d \vec S[/tex], but I don't know what surface I should take as [tex]S[/tex].
    I've found [tex]\vec B = \mu _0 \vec J a[/tex]. Which is obviously wrong since I think I should get something like [tex]\frac{\text{constants}}{r}[/tex].
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2009 #2
    imo, in this case, [tex]I = J.A = Ja^2 [/tex]

From Ampere's law:

[tex]
    \oint \vec B d \vec l = B . 2\pi d

==> B = Ja^2 / 2\pi d
    [/tex]

p/s: im not sure that i understand your problem completely :(

4. Oct 31, 2009 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thanks for the help. I think the problem is like this : An infinite conductor plane with a depth of [tex]a[/tex]. The current flows in a direction. I have to calculate the magnetic field inside the lattice (from a depth of [tex]-\frac{a}{2}[/tex] if I consider the origin as being just over the lattice) and outside it.
    So I don't think that [tex]\oint d \vec l =2\pi d[/tex]. I'm unsure though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook