Calculating the magnitude and sense of a couple moment

In summary, the conversation is about a problem that involves finding the bending moment at a point. The person has attempted to solve it by creating a moment at two separate points, but the answer they got was not what they expected. They are looking for help in figuring out if they made a mathematical error or missed a step, or if they need to approach the problem differently. They are grateful for any assistance.
savva

Homework Statement

question is attached with thread

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is attached with thread. I tried solving by creating a moment at a point, which I did at 2 separate points points to give me the same answer, which I would expect, however it is not the answer I am looking for, the actual answer is Mc=+18.3kN.m. If I made a mathematical error, what have I done? If I missed a step, which step did I miss and if it is neither of these and I am supposed to take a different approach to the problem, how should I do this. Thanks in advanced for any assistance

Attachments

• Chp 2 - Q3.55 Problem0001.jpg
    Chp 2 - Q3.55 Problem0001.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,403
  • Chp 2 - Q3.55 Problem0002.jpg
    Chp 2 - Q3.55 Problem0002.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 875
Physics news on Phys.org
image.jpg
image.jpg

1. What is a couple moment?

A couple moment is a type of force that occurs when two equal and opposite forces act on a body, but their lines of action do not coincide. This creates a rotational effect on the body instead of a translational one.

2. How is the magnitude of a couple moment calculated?

The magnitude of a couple moment is calculated by multiplying one of the forces by the perpendicular distance between the two forces. This distance is known as the moment arm or lever arm.

3. What is the difference between clockwise and counterclockwise moments?

Clockwise and counterclockwise moments refer to the direction of rotation created by the couple moment. Clockwise moments rotate the body in a clockwise direction, while counterclockwise moments rotate the body in a counterclockwise direction.

4. How do you determine the sense of a couple moment?

The sense of a couple moment is determined by the direction in which the forces are acting. If the forces are acting towards each other, the sense of the moment is positive (counterclockwise). If the forces are acting away from each other, the sense of the moment is negative (clockwise).

5. Can a couple moment affect the translational motion of a body?

No, a couple moment only affects the rotational motion of a body. It does not cause any translational motion, as the forces always act in opposite directions and therefore cancel each other out in terms of linear motion.