1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Statics -- Moment of a Couple

1. Sep 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is the problem I'm having problems with.
    2016-09-25 (4).png

2. Relevant equations
    M=F x r

3. The attempt at a solution

Let me explain what I've been doing with the practice problems before it, because I fear I may have the wrong understanding.

2016-09-25.png

For this exercise I just found the perpendicular distance between the couple vectores and put the vectors in cartersian form, then I used the vector product. I know the solution is right there but this is what I did when doing it on my own and got the same result.

2016-09-25 (1).png
    I thught I had managed to do this exercise fairly easily but now its confusing me because I think it is similar to the one I'm having probles with but when I try to apply similar steps I'm not getting the correct result. For this one again I found the perpendicular distances between the couple vectors and then multiplied them to get the moment. I thought I had understood why only some components made couples but now I'm confused with the x components of the 50lb force. I thought that since it was in the same direction as the perpendiclar distance that they didn't make a couple but then I noticed that there's a 1ft perpendicular distance. Perhanps it's because the distance isn't BETWEEN THEM?

2016-09-25 (3).png
    Again I was able to do this one easy peasy by finding the distance between the vectors and using vector product.

2016-09-25 (4).png
    Now back to this one. I separated each force into its components. I THOUGHT the perpendicular distanceof the 5kN forces was 3m and the perp distance of F was 1, but that didn't work out and I'm not getting the result. I saw a solution online

upload_2016-9-25_11-35-47.png
    I don't understand why they are using both components and why two components of different vectors, say the x components of the F vector and the x component of the 5kN vector, they have the same distance, WHHYYY? Why can't I apply the same logic as before?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2016 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes the magnitude of a couple is force times perpendicular distance, but in your case the perp distance is not readily determined, so it is easier to break up the force into its x and y components. Then the magnitude of a couple is the algebraic sum of the couples of each component. Note in your example that the x component forces also have a perp distance between them because of the 1 m separation. The solution clearly shows this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted