Calculating the magnitude of the electric field homework

In summary, the electric field strength at a point 1.1 cm to the left of the middle charge is 205863327.4 N/C.
jc269

Homework Statement

Consider three charges arranged as shown:

Q1---------Q2----------Q3

Q1 has a value of 6.8 uC
and is 3.5 cm away from O2
It is also a positive charge

Q2 has a value of 1.2 uC
and is 5cm away from O3
It is also positive

Q3 has a value of -4.4 uC
and is negative.

What is the magnitude of the electric field strength at a point 1.1 cm to the left of the middle charge? The value of the Coulomb constant is K = 8.98755 x 10^9 N*m^2/C^2. Answer in units of N/C.

Homework Equations

I think that I am going to have to use E = k*Q/r^2 (electric field)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well using E = k*Q/r^2 this is what I did. I

I did K*(6.8 x 10^-6)/(2.4 x ^-2) = 106103020.8
K*(1.2 x 10^-6)/(1.1 x 10^-2) = 89132727.27
K*(4.4 x 10^-6)/(6.1 x 10^-2) = 10627578.61
Final summation = 205863327.4 N/C
I used the fact that the question was asking for the point charge to be 1.1cm away from the middle charge, so I used that distance to find the other distances in the upper equations. I think that this has to do with superpositioning. The thing is, I am not too sure that if that concept deals with this question. I basically used the electric field formula and applied it to each charge along the x axis. I tried to submit it into my online home and it was spit back out as wrong. Still trying to work on it.

Attachments

• diagramphysics.jpg
    diagramphysics.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 464
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is that you can't add the electric fields like that. Q2, being positive, counteracts the effect of Q1 (they push charges in opposite directions); Q3, being negative, helps Q1 and counteracts Q2. You want to add the fields vectorially, not arithmetically.

Thanks, solved a little bit ago. Forgot to include the direction.

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnitude of the electric field?

The formula for calculating the magnitude of the electric field is E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the charge of the source, and r is the distance from the source.

2. How do I determine the direction of the electric field?

The direction of the electric field is always in the direction that a positive charge would move if placed in the field. This can be determined by using the right-hand rule, where you point your thumb in the direction of the electric field and your fingers in the direction of the positive charge's movement.

3. What units are used to measure the magnitude of the electric field?

The magnitude of the electric field is measured in newtons per coulomb (N/C) or volts per meter (V/m).

4. Can the magnitude of the electric field be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of the electric field can be negative. This indicates that the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of a positive charge's movement.

5. How does the magnitude of the electric field change as distance from the source increases?

The magnitude of the electric field decreases as distance from the source increases. This is because the electric field spreads out as it travels, leading to a decrease in intensity at greater distances.