Electric field from three point charges at 1.1 cm left of center

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 10K views
jc269
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Consider three charges arranged as shown:

Q1---------Q2----------Q3

Q1 has a value of 6.8 uC
and is 3.5 cm away from O2
It is also a positive charge

Q2 has a value of 1.2 uC
and is 5cm away from O3
It is also positive

Q3 has a value of -4.4 uC
and is negative.

What is the magnitude of the electric field strength at a point 1.1 cm to the left of the middle charge? The value of the Coulomb constant is K = 8.98755 x 10^9 N*m^2/C^2. Answer in units of N/C.



Homework Equations


I think that I am going to have to use E = k*Q/r^2 (electric field)


The Attempt at a Solution



Well using E = k*Q/r^2 this is what I did. I

I did K*(6.8 x 10^-6)/(2.4 x ^-2) = 106103020.8
K*(1.2 x 10^-6)/(1.1 x 10^-2) = 89132727.27
K*(4.4 x 10^-6)/(6.1 x 10^-2) = 10627578.61
Final summation = 205863327.4 N/C
I used the fact that the question was asking for the point charge to be 1.1cm away from the middle charge, so I used that distance to find the other distances in the upper equations. I think that this has to do with superpositioning. The thing is, I am not too sure that if that concept deals with this question. I basically used the electric field formula and applied it to each charge along the x axis. I tried to submit it into my online home and it was spit back out as wrong. Still trying to work on it.
 
Attachments
  • diagramphysics.jpg
    diagramphysics.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 529
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is that you can't add the electric fields like that. Q2, being positive, counteracts the effect of Q1 (they push charges in opposite directions); Q3, being negative, helps Q1 and counteracts Q2. You want to add the fields vectorially, not arithmetically.
 
Thanks, solved a little bit ago. Forgot to include the direction.